Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bilateral sciatica - and Cauda equina syndrome - Anyone?

dax0007ddax0007 Posts: 66
Hello all! Well i was on this site when i first started have back issues in Jan 2011.. I went thru 5 months of mooderate type pain.. I was very lucky not to have the pain some people discribe.. Anyways I started working out(lightly) and doing cardio on the eliptical .. I felt pretty darn good from June to Oct 2011, then last saturday(about 9days ago) i started having mild to moderate lumbar discomfort.. this last for 4 days.. I could not do much cause something was wrong.. I do not recall doing anything.. Anyways. I was not to concern i just figure i did something and hopefully in a month it will be gone, BUT THEN after 4 days of back pain i started have LEFT LEG shooting/cramping type pain for 2 days, then it started in my right leg. So NOW when i walk i have pain in BOTH OF MY LEGS- basically from the backside of each THIGH into the CALF muscle. feel like someone is squeezing my calfs.. Sitting down, laying down, & just riding the indoor bike easy DOES NOT bother me so i assum this is some type of sciatica, BUT WHAT SCARES ME IS how BILATERAL SCIATICA can be related to Cauda equina sundrome..

My last MRI in March 2011, bacially stated:
l1-l2 no issues
l2-l3 a broad based bulging annulus cause mild bilateral neuroforminal narrowing nad mild central canal stenosis

l3-l4 a broad based herniated disc ostephyte compex is seen. there bilateral facet and ligamentous hypertrophy. there is moderate bilateral nerioforminal narrowing and modeate central canal stenosis.

l4-l5 broad based herniated disc ostephyte compex is seen. There is also bilateral facet and ligamentous hypertrophy. There is moderate bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing and moderate canal stenosis

l5-s1: a mild bulging annulus cause mild central canal stenosis and mild bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing

Do i got some issues, but after seeing 3 different DOCTORS they said i am nowhere near surgery yet..

I am just freaked becuase of the relationship of BILATERAL sciatica and CES dieases... I will make another appointment to see a neuro again. I am sure he will want a NEW MRI//

BTW_ i dont have anyother issues with my body fuctions.

• BTW-Thank for anyones info!

• It is good that you have seen 3 doctors, and have obviously had an MRI scan done.

If they are saying that you are not in need of surgery, then I am sure that is the case.

I would say that Cauda Equina Syndrome is a very rare condition. Try not to stress about it, but make yourself familiar with the symptoms, and if you start to get them, let your doctor know straight away.

I had very severe stenosis in my lumbar spine for a long time as I was trying to avoid surgery. My cord (cauda equina as it was my lumbar spine) was being kinked and severely squashed. My doctors told me it was amazing that I was managing to walk. I did have severe bilateral sciatica, but never had any symptoms of cauda equina.

I hope that you will not need surgery, ever, but at least for a very long time.