Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Scheduled

gerise33ggerise33 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After talking with my surgeon, I am scheduled for surgery on 12/19/11. He will be doing a 3 level fusion of c4-7 with anterior and posterior incisions and a bone graft from my hip. Diagnosis is spinal stenosis and degenerative dic disease. I would welcome any input or experiences with this. Not sure what to expect.

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom have had this same surgery. I myself am fused from c3-c7, and have used my bone. I think your going to find the bone donor site is more painful than the actual incision on the neck, as most do. Another thing that is typical is to have a sore throat for a few weeks, sometimes not at all.

Each member is different on recovery, and depending on wether you will need to be braced or not. As you begin reading on the boards I think you will learn a lot from what others have gone through, and possibly will develop some questions based on their experiences. Another thing that comes to mind with the cervical spine fusion is the muscle spasms. So you will want to make sure you have a good muscle relaxer.

There are other things to plan, such as sleeping, most prefer a recliner, with foods and being sure your not lifting anything in your recovery. The hospital stay depends on your surgeon, I have never stayed more than the night. Which is better for me as I would rather be home, and in my own environment.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post.