Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dull ache pain after foam rolling

Fisherdan32FFisherdan32 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Lower Back Pain
My thoracic sprain pain has gone after foam rolling (Feels amazing!)

However I foam rolled my lower back aswell, and there was lots of loud cracks in my back (I know its normal for cracks but it was pretty loud) and ive had a dull ache pain in my lower back for 3 days, with the occasional sharp pain too.

Its the first time ive ever massaged my back and ive been pretty inactive most of my life, is this normal for first time? What did i actually do? And what can I do to heal it faster?

Thank you,

• Hope you've did some searching since you posted this...as you're NOT supposed to foam roll the lower lumbar. It's good from the neck (cervical) down to the mid-back (thoracic), but NOT for the low-back (lumbar).

Here's a pic:
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    can be used on the entire spine. (both the full and half rollers). There are different ways on how to use it.

My physical therapist has given me specific ways on how to use it for thoracic and lumbar areas. If anything, it becomes more difficult to use on the cervical area.

How did you use the roller on your lumbar area? Did you roll vertically or horizontal?

You mentioned a dull ache after using it on your lumbar area. Have you had lumbar surgery before?

As with any problem after some type of exercise or incident, ice at first, then heat. If the discomfort lasts for more than 10 days, it may be time to contact your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • be used everywhere.

Did your foam roller come with a DVD with instructions? They usually have good examples. Youtube is full of them.

The roller is intended for self myofacial release. In other words, massage therapy, without paying a massage therapist.

One big misconception is that you only roll on it. In a number of cases you don't really roll on it. You roll on it until you get that spot that fires up. Then you actually stay still and apply some pressure. It will hurt. Those are all knots and kinks in your muscles and need to be "released".

Another misconception is doing your whole body in 1 shot. Like getting massage. Things like Swedish massage for relaxation they do head to toe. Myofacial they address some or most of your body but they don't "trigger" you from head to toe. You'd leave in tears wanting to die.

The whole function of massage is release over time. Use the roller sparingly and selectively over your entire body over months.

If I hit my left IT band good. My leg, hip, lower back will hurt for a few days. It isn't the roller, it's me. After a while it calms down. But you have to stay on top of it.

Being inactive is not very good. You need to walk or do some basic exercise. Add the foam roller to it.

Also look at rollers. There is foam, which is the default. I also have one that is rubber over PCV tube. Think of it as Level 1. Foam as Level 2. Then there is this hard rubber one with what looks like fat teeth. Call that Level 3. You want pain, that'll make a grown man cry in no time... ;-)
  • Thanks Dilauro & Z06 for your info. I have scoliosis w/arthritis and cervical spondylosis w/ stenosis and spine tumors (benign) so I have my share of pain (LOL)...so have been seeing Chiropractors on average 2x a week for over a year & going broke. Want to limit my Chiropractor treatments to once every 2 months so looking for ways to control this pain. Heard of foam rollers so bought one made by Gold's Gym and have tried it a few minutes a day (per instructions that came with it) & wanted to cry as my back hurts so much more. After reading your comments, I realize I have been using it wrong. Now I tried it as you suggested as back is feeling better. Thanks for letting us know HOW to use it!! :)
  • Hi! I'm glad you figured out how to use your foam roller. I have one too, though I haven't used it in a while. I'll start using it again.

I go to my chiropractor 2x per week. I was going 1x per week at $50 cash charge every time. My insurance doesn't cover it to the point where it would actually be cost effective to use the insurance. So I pay in cash. About 2 years ago, he told me to come 2x per week instead of 1x for the same price. So now I pay him $25 each time I see him. I go 2x per week every month, so it's about $200 per month. Ask your chiropractor about the cost- see if they offer a discount or a payment plan. My chiropractor knows I'm a lifetime patient, so it will all even out in the end. Also, he is just really, really awesome. Good luck!
    Chronic pain since 2007. Have scoliosis. Had ACDF surgery for C5 Dec 2011. Sick of dealing with pain. I just turned 32 and struggle through but work full-time in IT.
This discussion has been closed.