Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery

jandeljjandel Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello my name is Janet...
$ weeks ago I had a Level 3 Laminectomy decompression on L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 when they went to do the surgery it was only supposed to be a level 1 ..The Ligamentum flavum was removed at each level. the dura and nerve root was retracted medically and copious amounts of free disc material was removed from disc space at each level.then they did something else to decompress nerve roots at L3,L4,L5 and S1 at this point existing nerve roots were probed.....my questions is i have no feeling in my left foot pain going up my left leg and hip more than before the surgery is this normal???? How long is recovery and will I be able to return to work cause i work with people who have mental and physical disabilities ( which means i do alot of lifting , pushing, pulling and restraining people to keep them safe).at this point i feel i will never return to work cause i am a risk and i am only 45 and I have always worked 16 hours a day and never slow down and now i am getting depressed cause I feel worse than I did before the surgery..If anyone has any advice or answers I would greatly apprecaite it...Thank You so much for reading this Jandel

• my surgery was cervical - 3 levels - 8/29/11. I was no use of my left arm prior to surgery. Right after surgery it was great. But then as time went on I started having recurring tingling and numbness in both arms. Doc did say when he was there I had huge bone spurs on both left and right side that he removed and cleaned up. Said it was the healing process and expected after my surgery. I'm 10 weeks post op now and all of that is behind me now. I'm hoping you'll have the same situation as you heal. If ever in doubt, definitely call your doc for clarification!

• Hi Sandy,,Thank You for responding,,I am so glad that things are going well for you,,,I have never been in a forum until my daughter told me about it and how it helps with my disabled grand-daughter just chatting with peopel who have had some of the same issues that you go through,,,just by you responding has helped and I cannot thank you enough,,and I hope all continues to go well for you...Thank you again

• Welcome to SH. You have come to a great place, full of wonderful members.

I know that after surgery, the nerves are angry after all the poking, proding of surgery. It can take along time for them to settle down.Are you 4 weeks post op? Will you be doing physio?

I had a two level discectomy 4 months ago, and unfortunately I am worse off than before with more numbness and partial dropfoot. I am now getting opinions for a fusion.

I know it is hard when you have a physical job( I am in nursing) and unfortunately it doesn't look like I will be going back (I am 40)Everyone is different though, and many are able to return. I will keep you in my thoughts.

You are not alone!

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012