Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck or lower back problem??

backman01bbackman01 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
Just came from neuro surgen to find out why i have a hard time walking when i start to walk my legs cramp up,they get so tired i have to sit a wile then start over.herniation above l-45,he said sounds like neck problem, i had failed l-4-5 fusion,failed scs,failed injections.what can this be?? Rick

• Has your neurosurgeon given you any more information about what he thought may be the problem and what he would do to help you?

I can't tell you what could be causing your symptoms, but I can share some of my symptoms.

I have had a lumbar fusion of L4/L5 which really helped the extreme sciatic pain I was getting in both legs due to a spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra).

I now have problems in my neck diagnosed (and also some in my thoracic, mid back). I am having all sorts of pains and cramping in my legs and feet, my abdomen and my arms and hands. I have not conclusively been told which level is causing it, but that it could well be from my neck because I have cord compression at two levels there.

Once there is cord compression in your neck, you can certainly get symptoms in your legs, and weakness is one of them. (I also get stiffening spasms in my legs and abdomen, particularly in the morning as I wake and when I get up after sitting for a while. I have been told that this is spasticity and is another symptom of cord compression.)

Have you had an MRI scan done of your neck, or is there one planned for you? If your neurosurgeon is suspecting your neck, I would imagine that he will arrange to have this done to see what is happening there.

I do hope that they can discover what is causing your problems and will be able to get rid of it, or at least help you.
  • jellyhall,Thank you for response i was there for my comp visit l-4-5 only would to call for him to order mri on neck being comp he could only talk about lower back.the neck i have to pay for i didnt call him back yet,i just get soo fed up with the system.
    I can only walk 100feet till i start cramping,tighten in legs numbness,i just worry if let go what could happen,i dont have much neck pain.
    Rick in pa
This discussion has been closed.