Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware coming out! Two years from 2nd fusion...

BacktymeBBacktyme Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI out there, Long time since I have been on! Having side hardware out becuase I have pain everyday. Doc thinks it could be the hardware, or still from back issues. So much better then before my fusions! But has anyone else had hardware out and felt better? Pain is at harware site, and over SI joints, down buttocks, groin pain (r) and hip pain. I am very active.(finished three Triathalons this year) I also see PT every week. I am also only 1/2 fused. Slow on the bone growth. Osteoprosis :-( at a young age. Doc will also look over fusion while in there and nerves ...

Anyone out there that has had hardware out please let me know how it went and how you are now, or anyone with thoughts please pass it on!

• Are you sure about this? My doc is adamant that too much activity will undo the fusion, up to two years out. Could it be that the problem is the level of activity you're doing. THREE triathlons sound intense!

I also wonder what will keep the area stable if it is not fully fused if there is no hardware, or do they propose replacing it. if it were me I would get a second opinion to make sure this will take care of your symptoms.

• Hi Emily,

Trust me I am slow Tri'er. I swim great! 800 meter open water in 16 min. but everyone I pass on the swim passes me on the run! I don't run. I run/walk. Haha. My back does not let me. The bike is fit really well and I only bike 20 miles or less at one time. My PT is also a Triathlete so very aware. My doc is supportive but is not good with running. That is good becuase either am I. I don't get metals for placing, I cross the finish line, that is winning for me! Swimming is so good for back pt's. Our Lateral muscles stop working because we don't turn for so long after surgery. Not BLT's(bending lifting tristing.) I did not start all this until 6 months of PT and 4 months of Pilates, then a 6 months of training before my first Tri. I still do Pilates, and PT.

Not being fully fused is a question, doc will look when he gets in there. Hoping for more bone then the CT showed. If not enough there, harware stays. :-( We are also going to look at a back stimulator, if am stuck with hardware, to get rid of pain. I had an AxilLIF, the new type of fusion surgery so the scars are small and easier recovery. Doc will use the same type of procedure to go back in.

Emily, thanks for getting back to me. This site has been so helpful in the past and a great source of support during the last 4 years.