Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelogram with Lumbar Puncture

sweetybear2008ssweetybear2008 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Rebecca and a new member and a 42 yr old female.I have had back problems going back as far as I can remember. I have had no accidents, falls or surgeries. My last 2 lower vertebrae have little discs left. Once a day or more (when Im on my feet working), I have pain shooting down my right leg. (Syatic nerve). I found out I have Neuropathy also ( a cpl months ago) Dr and I knows it started from my back. So, he sends me to a Neurosurgeon. (this is where it gets fun...NOT) I am scheduled for an MRI, then find out I am clostraphobic...Attempt #2, I am being sedated BUT the MRI has sensors to if it thinks a person is goin to get "stuck", it wont go any further..(Yes Im a big boned person)...Attempt #3 is a Myelogram w/ lumbar puncture....I got poked SO MANY times and for 2 hrs. Never did get to putting in contrast. In certain spots, it shot BAD pain down past my buttocks. After several attempts, we quit. Dr said I was a rare case bc this shouldnt of taken 2 hrs to try to numb certain areas. I dont know what else to do or procedures. I am NOT going thru that again and dont wish it on anyone. Still havent figured out what is wrong or could b wrong. He did say my muscles are against my spinal cord but other than that, I dont know...I am on Torodol but that is about it.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Rebecca, and welcome to S.H.
    Will your Dr. prescribe an open M.R.I. they are pretty big.
    Or a "stand up" MRI. Also big and wide. But the machine is rather new. And locating a radiology co. that has one. May be a challenge. Some Dr.s don't even know they exist. But they can google it. And it's made by Fonar Co.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i wish there was some other way to get the pictures!!best of luck! Jenny :)
  • The Dr was going to send me for an open MRI but its 45 min drive away and the Myelogram is local and results are quicker. If I known I would have went through all of this, I would have taken the chances of waiting longer on results. Just tired of going thru all this pain. I do work as a cook so I stand on my feet for at least 7 hrs a day, 3 days a week. If I stand in one position for 5 mins, I have a certain place in my back that "seizes" up and I cant move. I have to move slowly back and forth till I can completely move normally. Used to take Ibuprofen but the Torodol is working ALOT better.