Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello 19Year old Introducing. Depression?

SolidfingerSSolidfinger Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Spinal Stenosis
So about 2 years ago i found out that I had 2 Herniated disc and Spinal Stenosis in my Lumbar Region. That devastated me since it was during my Senior year in high school and i was the schools star athlete. Since it was my last year i played Tennis during my spring semester in pain, i just ignored it. Now 2 years later here I am. Doctors giving me treatments for a herniated disc when in reality i believe it's the spinal stenosis giving me problems. All the symptoms go along with it, so now I'm a 19 year old kid who can't even work, walk, run, or go on dates with his girlfriend because it's painful. I spend my days at home doing nothing but eating watching tv studying and hearing music. I'm seriously going into depression as well since I wanted to become a Doctor so badly and with this injury i can't. Has anyone ever recovered from it to the point it didn't bother them one bit at all? Any young people out there in my same shoes? Every time i go to the doctor the nurses are shocked to hear my injuries

• Hi Solidfinger,

I started having severe pain around the time I was 18. I know how it is. I got to a point where I was crying every day because I felt my life was over.

What kind of treatments have you had so far? Physical Therapy? Medications? Injections? Have you consulted with a surgeon?

Usually the herniated disc causes the stenosis. If it is pinching the nerve it is called forminal stenosis.

I suggest you try all the conservative approaches and then go see a surgeon. You are young and have a better rate of recovery from surgery. Atleast having surgery should give you hope.

Doctors/Nurses always say the same thing about me. It is kind of annoying! My doctor said he was the youngest person he ever did a cervical fusion on.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Wow At least I know someones was in my shoes. How are you progressing so far? I've had Physical Therapy which helped, but the pain came back, but it's not as strong as before. I'm currently having Epidural Shots injected but those aren't helping as well. The rate this is going I think I'm going to ask for surgery because I can't take it anymore. Did you undergo surgery? Any suscess?
  • Hey man, im on the same boat literally. I was diagnosed during my last year in high school at 17 as well now Im 18.

I got MUCH better and practically symptom free this last summer but then got degenerative disc disease and then things went downhill again.

I think the worst part is trying to meet expectations when nobody realizes its kind of hard if you're fixtiated on pain 24/7
  • Wow man I'm so sorry to hear that. I know what you mean. Tomorrow I'm going to see a back doctor and just say I want surgery. I already tried all the other alternatives with some success but not 100% healed. What treatments did you undertake to get rid of the symptoms?

Yeah i know what you mean, parents bug me to get a job, but I can't because the pain while working is torture that you can't stand. I can't work out -_-.

Hopefully we get better.
  • Check your private messages. We should talk over FB because it's much faster.
  • Hey man i'm 22 years old just diagnosed with congenital spinal stenosis. I recently had surgery and the pain is alot better than it was. Was wondering What is causing your stenosis? is it congenital? Doctor said i was born with a smaller spinal canal than usual. He said it was genetics. The thing is noone in my family has back problems. I understand where you're coming from, i was depressed for a whole year and hated my life. Since surgery everything been progressing well. I still have mild pain but i'd say im 90% better. Before i couldn't even stand for long i thought my life was over.
    Let me know what exactly is causing your stenosis, If it's similar to mine i can probally give you some advice.
    Stay strong bro.
  • Wow thats good to hear Peter! Theres too little info out there on the outcomes of surgery done for congenital ss instead of old age.
  • Hey Stealth.

What exactly is your condition,is it congenital aswell?
    How are you dealing with your pain?
  • I replied to your PM, hit me up over fb and we'll talk there, much faster.