Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having first neck fusion done in a couple of days. C5&C6

NicoleBummedNNicoleBummed Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
What can I expect from pain and getting around?
advertisement

Comments

• I am having my first ACDF on December 5. I was really worried and scared until I started reading these forums. They give you so much information, lots more than what the doctors give you. I read everyday for new info and have also read some personal blogs on-line. It has helped me tremendously!!! Good Luck to you!

the cat lady
  • I had an acdf c4-5 in June. I spent one night in the hospital. My neck was very sore especially when laying back (Getting in and out of bed). My pain was not "gone" post op but it was not as bad as my pre op pain, plus it was controlled with meds.

I am 4 months post op and it seems like every month it gets better. I am better off now than I was pre op, however, it does take time to heal. I still have a very weak neck and I get muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders frequently. I am curently doing neck physical therapy.

Good luck to the both of you!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Welcome to the SH Board! As the catlady said, you couldn't hae found a better place to get info (however, since we're not doctors we can't give medical advice, but there are videos, etc. on spinal conditions, and you can ask your doctor, too), to vent when needed (spine issues can be frustrating), etc. Since we've been there done that we can all identify, and we're a caring bunch.

As for postop pain and mobility, each person has different experiences. When I had my ACDF in '83 the neurosurgeon took bone from my right hip for the fusion; that area hurt like the dickens only when the pain med wore off, but my neck didn't hurt one bit, and my spasm was gone (excellent surgeon!) Was on pain med for a month.

We all wish you the best with your surgery! Loe 'n >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess
  • Hi all, I am scheduled for my fist ACDF surgery on Dec 1 2011. This will involve 4 levels beginning from C3-C4 to C6-C7. Little scared but I know that the Lord will see me thru this. Feeling very positive about the outcome, and I have a great DR. Any advice or little tips that anyone would like to share?? That might help me get thru some things... Thanks all,
  • I am 8 weeks post my surgery.

-Before surgery I would suggest getting some cough drops to use right after surgery. They worked wonderfully. I didn't have any of the throat problems others complained of. -Also, if your doctor doesn't give you a brace just get a travel neck pillow to use. It will help you when laying in bed and traveling in the car after surgery.
    -I slept in a recliner for the 1st 2 weeks. Couldn't get comfortable.
    -Your doc should see you 2 weeks post op and do x-rays to check your instrumentation. If your in pain ask for physical therapy. My shoulders and neck were very tight after surgery and PT worked wonders.

Just remember to take it easy! I went back to my desk job 6-weeks after surgery. If you have any specific questions, feel free to msg me. :)

C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
  • Seems we can keep each other updated on our surgeries.. Mine is Dec 1, 2011. If you would like my e-mail please private message me. I will say a prayer for you also. We can keep each other company :) Good Luck and God Bless

Mom T (Teresa)
  • Thank you Surgerysoon for the helpful hints, I have my list! Going to do preop evaluation testing tomorrow (friday 25th). Lots to do around here to make things easier. I had bought a hospital bed a few years back at a great deal from a friend. So I am soo glad I have that! Keep me in your prayers as you and everyone else is in mine :)

God Bless
    Mom T (Teresa)
  • Anyone have advice or can tell me how they went about showering... neck brace on... or off?? Should I buy a soft coller and make it water proof with press and seal or saran wrap?? I did buy some of the Dry shampoo so I don't have to was hair as often. Thanks! Prayers to all.
    God Bless,
    Mom T (Teresa)
  • Generally, your surgeon will allow you to take off your hard collar for showering only. That's usually also a good time to change out the pads, too.

When I showered without my collar, I never bent my head, I just kept my eyes closed as everything ran down my face. I did use a shower chair and my hubby gave me my showers and washed my hair the first few weeks until I felt comfortable on my own.

Since many don't wear collars after cervical surgery, I have to suppose that even if you bend your head a little during that time, it won't do any damage.

Cathie
  • I am scheduled for a 3 level fusion (c4-7) on 12/19/11. I am nervous because it will be both anterior and posterior approach with a bone graft fromo my hip. My doctor hasn't told me a lot about what to expect and I am looking for input also. Any advice would be welcomed.
  • I am scheduled for a 3 level fusion (c4-7) on 12/19/11. I am nervous because it will be both anterior and posterior approach with a bone graft fromo my hip. My doctor hasn't told me a lot about what to expect and I am looking for input also. Any advice would be welcomed.
  • Post op must haves. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0 Some of the hints are for people having lumbar surgery but other useful tips for neck surgery patients. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement