Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling melancholy and blue

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
It looks like I'm going to have to sell my place in the mountains that I love. And move down to the valley.
At my last consult with my surgeon. He said in front of my wife, Jim you know after this surgery, your going to have to change your life style. You can't be a cross between Paul Bunyan and Jim Bowie. He said your life style in the past along with some accidents have left your spine in a very vulnerable situation. And after this surgery, there will be nothing more that I can do for you. And we're hoping for a 20 to 50% reduction in pain. The rest of the damage is irreversible.
Well, that's all it took for my wife, and of course she
rat's me out to all of my family.And her and them have been trying to get me off of this mountain for a long time now.
They are all convinced that I've caused at least some of the damage myself over the years. And really they aren't to far off.
So, I just signed the listing papers for my property. =((
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• that your having to move down off the mountain.
    If it's for your health and easier way of life, then for the best. But I do understand it is hard to change.
    Maybe you can rent a place few times a yr and go for mini vacations. I'm sure it's not the same at all.
    I hope the surgery gives you the most pain relief as poss.
    It's hard to change anything in our lives... now I do wish my family would listen to my docs, I'm going to drag them all in so they will move south with me.
    I have to face the fact it's about my health and Chicago is not the place for my crappy lungs and spine.
    I hope you find something you can enjoy.
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Sorry to hear that Jim. But it might be for the best. I am thinking of doing same thing soon. Not sure how much longer i can handle taking care of things around the property here either with spine issues,

We have to somehow plan to make our future easier without having to have to do too much work that we can no longer do, Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Jim,

Few of us accept change easily. I think we all have hung on to thing we love for longer than we should.

I'd suggest start looking for some new hobbies and interests that might serve you well at the bottom of the mountain. You might be surprised how much fun you can have doing some thing you never ever thought of trying. Start looking at this whole thing as an opportunity instead of a big loss. Yeah, it's fine to grieve it for a bit but don't get stuck there. There way more to life than clinging to something that doesn't serve you well.

I took up photography so I could spend time in places that I love. I no longer work there, do don't do the damage I would if I had to live there but I can still go and enjoy it.

Be very aware that chronic pain make a change in your body chemistry and causes depression. It's just the way our bodies respond. I've learned that I can feel pretty down, but I don't have to live my life that way. I'm no victim of my feelings and while I do feel them and acknowledge them, I certainly don't let them run my life. I still get to choose and I'll always choose the healthiest and happiest life I can imagine.

Hang in there, the best is yet to come!

• awww Jim I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I too had to give up my mountains, by giving up not moving back to the Yukon. It broke my heart too, but I know deep down it was for the best. I know it's not the same, but we can always go back to visit. At least it's closer for you to go, it's clear across the country for me. But I have my pictures, and I close my eyes and I'm right back there. However sometimes when I do that I end up back in the mountains in Afghanistan and that's not so great LOL.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    There's nothing I can say to make you feel better but just want to say I'm sorry my friend. I can only imagine how you feel. I know you'll make the best of it whatever you have to do. Your family love you and want the best for you. You have so much going on right now that "melancholy and blue" is an understatement!!

• sorry to hear that you will be moving off the mountains. Although its not the same, hopefully you can continue to go up and visit.

I also have my place up for sale as we live on 5 acres. I love it, and it is my dream spot, but between my husband and my chronic back pain, we cannot keep up with the property. I will miss it terribly, but know that it is time.

You are definately not alone in this.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sorry to hear you need to sell your mountain home. I guess it's a lot of work to maintain that place but hoping you can rent a place or camp somewhere nearby at a camp site or cabin sometimes?

I know I had to give up my detached house because of the large lot to worry about and unable to garden anymore or worry about property taxes etc. so for now I'm renting a town-home right by the lake and it's so much better for me. I hope your valley house is nice though. You must have a lot of good memories and next time you go get a lot of photos to reminisce. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And I see most are in a similar situation. I just got the call from the surgery scheduler for my surgeon, and with this surgery happening just after Thanks Giving holiday, all of my pre op stuff is being crammed into a short time period. I'm stressed. And now that's all I can think about.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    They may physically move you out of the mountains, but no one can every take the mountains out of your heart and soul!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I feel for ya buddy. This stuff just sucks. I am unable to camp and ride my horse anymore either and I know it is devastating when this physical BS puts you in the position of giving up another of the parts of life that you love so much.
    Take care buddy - I am truly sorry..
  • I wish I could wave my magic wand to make this better. But I seem to have placed the stupid wand. Stupid back issues.

Sorry about your house.
This discussion has been closed.