Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24hours post first epidural ever...help.

jgnsbrgjjgnsbrg Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Spinal Injections
First, I am so glad I finally found a place where I can read all this great information regarding peoples experiences! I have herniations at my L3/ L4 and L4/L5 leaving me with flare ups every 2-3 years. I am at week 4 of my latest flare up and decided after three Dr. opinions to go with the epidural injections (yes plural) I had 2 injections yesterday one between each of those discs. The dr. warned me of possible discomfort as he wanted to get quite close to the pain. I felt an electro shock of nerve pain down my whole leg which lasted a split second and then he gave me the meds. which provided immediate relief. Again with the second injection, however that was more discomfort than pain in the hip region. So...after the injection I felt ZERO pain, I just cried with joy and the dr. did warn me that my pain would return....HELLO---8 hours later I am in pain again, my nerve pain down the leg is the same or even a little worse than before. Both my legs ache and I feel like I have just completed a half marathon. Been awake since 5am. I was so hopeful after the injections that I had relief and now I have no idea what to expect. Other side effects I had yesterday were ridiculous hot flashes and I was so hungry about 2 hours after the procedure (but that could have been that I was so relieved the whole thing was over I was finally able to stomach something.) I have lost 11 pounds since this latest ordeal. I guess I am asking PLEASE for others experiences...have they been similar or different? My dr. told me I should be able to go to work today--I am in no state and feeling so disappointed. Will the pain get better?

• I had some relief after the injections but then felt worse with leg spasms and a heaviness in my back that left me temporarily bent over and about 10days to 2 weeks after felt like 20-40% better. Keep icing the back area for 15 minutes several times a day.

Usually they will give the injections for 3 times a few weeks apart if you get relief with the first one.

Some people mention increased hunger with the steroids or puffiness and people with diabetes may have an increase in blood sugar but hopefully you go for your yearly fasting blood work to check your blood sugar and other usual tests?

My PM Dr. said I may even have incontinence leakage temporarily after the injections and I did!

I always got facet joint injections and SI and hip nerve blocks whenever I had an epidural (caudal)so felt I still got 20-40% relief but for me the relief didn't last too long but they work different for everyone. Best wishes and hope they help. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    (ESI's) Spinal Injections, it would be hard to post all of them.

You are in the right area on this site to read about other member's experiences.

From a medical view, take a look at:

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com