Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

added cymbalta and hydromorphone 3mg

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Pain Management
Hello everyone,
I just had a question, I am currently taking Neurontin and Dilaudid (8mg every 5-6 hrs) and I was getting NO pain relief so my pcp added Cymbalta (I'm at 30mg 1 a day and then up to 60mg 1 a day) and she also gave me hydromorphone 3mg and she said to take it with all my other meds.
Is this ok? I double checked with her secretary, she was not happy (secretary) that I wanted her to ask the dr if it was safe (she's a real peach..not)and she said yes tot ake them together.
I guess my question is this, do I still take the Neurontin with the Cybalta since they do the same thing?
I am terrfied of gaining weight and that is a double whammy being on them both.
I just want a decrease in pain. :( LIke everyone here, I just want to be able to function day to day. Play with my babies, maybe vacuum and be intimate (hey what's that?). So IF I have to take both, fine. I was just curious though. I know that when I was tapering off the Neuro to try the Topamax I was in the fetal position when I dropped down to 400mg so I know it DOES help me. But does the Cymbalta cover that pain as well?
Sorry guys if I'm all over the place.
I have also NOT taken the hydromorphone yet. I am worried about taking too much medication. I know it sounds silly but I worry. As it is when I see other drs (for unrelated reasons) they ask what meds I take and I ALWAYS get that look (I'm sure some of you are familiar with)..it's the "do you really need this medication..you look fine to me..you must be some sort of low life..you're only 35 WHY do you need this..does your pcp know you're taking all that"? I get that ALL the time and I feel so small and I always cry because no matter how hard I TRY to explain my condition it's like they dismiss anything I say because of the meds.
I even had an ER dr (I went for gyn reasons) tell me that the medications are not necessary and he had back issues where he couldn't put his socks on but he didn't even take a tylenol and he refused and mri or ct because he knew the dr would want to have surgery! My response..I was crying a lot by then, make up smeared all pver my face Alice Cooper style..I said "you must not have been hurting bad enough because you would have gone for testing."
People, even drs are SO mean and unfortunately I am a softie and I am very sensitive and the things people say REALLY hurt me. I guess I need to toughen up. It's hard though to think we live in a world where people really don't give a damn about anyone. Maybe if these people could walk a mile in our shoes the world would be a better more understanding and compassionate place.
*hugs to all*

• I think the slow release Dilaudid would replace the 8mg you take every 4-5 hours and only use them when you have breakthrough pain. You may want to see your Dr. to clarify this medication issue. I get good pain relief from Cymbalta. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The insensitivity is astonishing. I am sorry you had to go through that. I did have a bit of weight gain with Cymbalta. I think these doctors treat us like we are drug addicts. I hope you get some understanding, and most of all, that you feel better.
  • Thank you *hug*
    I go in to see my pcp and get the hydro 'sorted out'and to see if my new urinary problems are from the cymbalta. I REALLY hope they aren't. I have a really wicked case of IC and my flare ups get really awful so I'm hoping this is just that, but it is different then it has ever been IF it is. Sadly, I know deep down it's the Cymbalata which I think HAS helped a bit with my piriformis even at a low dose and I am happy to say that the self harm thoughts have diminshed. :) Thank you all for your well wishes, I will report back after the dr and let you know how we are going to proceed.
  • i take cymbalta and 3 mg time release hydromorph contin morning and night plus 2-4 mg hydromorphone as needed for breakthrough pain. i also take lyrica