Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op "hair loss"

nanaclarknnanaclark Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi, I"m 09 post fusion L3,L4,L5,S1; post fusion Aug 11 L1,L2 . Problem , I'm losing my hair. What do you suggest?

• I am having the same issue! I had 2 surgeries in aug and ever since then, my hair falls out is droves. Some people tell me it's from the meds. Curious to see more responses.
  • Only thing is I didn't have any hair before surgery. Sorry, I know it's not funny. My guess would be from meds, I'd suggest asking your surgeon if this is one of the side effects of any of the meds that you have been given. Perhaps a med change could solve the problem.
  • Thank you for your comment.

I also had scolisois and stenosis. Lots of hardware now .

I've been told it could be from the anesthesia, or medications, and or stress.

I'm 67 and my husband is 70. We found our selfs raising our 24 year old grand daughter , who had just lost her husband , she came with a 3 year old son and twin girls age 1. When she left, we found ourself raising all 3 kids ,great grandkids.

I just want to know what to do now.

Thanks for your help.
  • I have had 2 surgeries this year. After the first, a cervical fusion in January, I started noticing my hair loss. At first it was just a bit, then it was a bit scary.
    I was told that it was due to the stress of the surgery and the anethesia.
    It finally stopped and by the time I had the second surgery in May my hair had started getting thicker again.
    I had only minor hair loss after the second surgery and now my hair is back to being as thick as it ever was.

hope this is helpful :)
  • Thank you for your comment. This really helps. I pray that you will recover quickly. Thanks again. Nana
  • Anesthesia has been known to cause hair loss. If the surgery is the cause, there is nothing you need to do. Your hair will grow back eventually.

Stress also can cause it, so if you can fight the stress by exercising, or doing things that calm you (take a break and read a book, take a bath, light a candle and listen to soft music, whatever helps you to decompress), it may help you.

Good luck. I've experienced this before and I know it is really, really upsetting.
  • Thanks for your feed back. Sound like you've been their too. Thanks again.

• The Facts

During a normal hair growth cycle, hair grows, then enters into a resting or "telogen" period and eventually sheds. According to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, "telogen effluvium" is a term used to describe hair that has been rushed into the resting state after the body suffers a shock due to major surgery. As resources are redirected to help heal the affected surgical area, the body temporarily shuts down hair production because it is not necessary for survival.

Telogen effluvium related to surgery can be distinguished from other forms of hair loss in several ways. Individuals typically begin to notice the increasing hair loss two to three months after the surgery. Hair loss after surgery is uniform, noticeable on the scalp but never excessive enough to cause a patchy appearance or complete baldness. In addition, the shed hairs all exhibit a specific pattern at the root, which resembles a white bulb.

Time Frame

Hair usually resides in the telogen phase for a period of two to four months before growth resumes. Individuals don't begin to notice the increase in hair loss when showering or brushing the hair until about three months post-surgery. Although the resting hair is being pushed out of the scalp by new hair that is already growing, it can take anywhere from about six months to a year for the hair to return to its normal fullness.

Proper Diet

Hair loss related to surgery typically reverses itself without any medicinal intervention or the need for over-the-counter hair loss tonics or treatments. However, maintaining a diet rich in protein and iron is believed to help promote and speed up healthy hair growth. Suggested foods include salmon, beans, eggs, spinach, broccoli, nuts and whole-grain cereals. Avoid foods that can inhibit hair growth, such as those that contain high levels of caffeine and fat.
  • Thank you for comments. You really did your research. Thank you again for taking the time to respond. Nana
  • I experienced major hair loss within ONE week after cataract surgery. I am two months post op and hair is so thin its frightening.I am grateful I had thick hair to begin with as most people have not noticed so far. So much for 3 months later it can start happening. 
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    I suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.