Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

rav1967rrav1967 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Just wanted to introduce myself... I feel a little lost right now... I had severe back pain going down the left leg and finally went to dr, and after MRI he called me to tell me that I had a large herniated disc L5S1 and sent me to PM dr... had 3 injections and the last one finally has given some relief but still have not had a pain free day in almost 2 months. PM Dr. said at last appt. if this doesn't help that the only step is to send me to surgeon. I feel like no one has really explained what all is going on so am going to ask PM Dr. next visit this coming Tuesday... wondering if I should at least visit a surgeon to get their opinion... I am not in excruciating pain now but by the end of the day I am at a 5 - 8 depending. I take Ibprofen about 3 times a day taking 3 - 4 at a time and Norco occasionally to help. I am just trying to figure out if I should tough it out... I have had back pain with DDD for about 10 years. have really enjoyed reading all the posts on here, such great information.

• My doctor told me I have to have a catscan first to see if my disc are strong enought to a discogram
    is this right?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I'm not a doctor..or even a very good patient..so can't give advice. :)

For me..I have always had better readings with more info from MRIs and the best from EMG..showing doc exactly what is affected.

Doc himself with EMG...was surprised at what was impaired and changed up his game plan.

Surgery not an option for me..so can't speak to that.
    Maybe someone else will be able to relate to that better.

I wanted to acknowledge your pain and encourage you to stay with good communication with your doc for what is effective and what is not. When it comes to any surgery, you might want a second opinion. I dunno.

The "search" on this site may bring you to previous posts that may be informative and beneficial to you.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• to SH Rav and Rangergar! Sorry that pain has brought you here, but you have come to a great place, full of support.

Rav with a large herniation, I myself would definately want to see a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon. This does not neccessarily mean surgery, but they could help you with other conservative measures, or other tests such as an emg.Do you have leg pain or numbness?Do you know if any nerves are impinged?

Wishing you all the best. Stay in touch

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi and welcome,, You say they never realy explained whats wrong? But you say they told you have herniation disc at l5s1. I think that prety much explains it, not sure what more can be explained at this point only 2 months in to things,

Injections might help the inflammation and with pt they have to see if it resolves itself or not, It would be way too early to do surgery without trying all alternative treatments 1 st,

2 months it would be premature to just simply do surgery if the posibility is there for it to heal or go back in to place on its own,

It can be a long process so do whatever they tell you to do to avoid surgery if posible,
    They usualy know the complications that come with surgery and thats should be the last option,

And when you know you could be facing surgery then in the future if it dont heal or get beter then makes a good reason to get real serious about findind every way posible to along with pt to comit very seriously to it if it can prevent from going under the knife,

Best wishes and best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I don't want to have surgery and want to try any and all non invasive procedures.... The only discussion I had with Primary doctor was over phone so it is my fault for not finding out everything the MRI showed. The PM doctor did not completely agree with the MRI report when he looked at the MRI. I just was hoping there was something else he could suggest other than sending me to a surgeon. I will know more once I go back... I too am hoping that it will heal on its own and know that is a slow journey but well worth it if it works... The pain that I experience more than anything at the moment is a burning pain from left buttock to foot.. at times feeling like my leg/foot are asleep/numb. I still get the shooting pains down my leg but usually know what to avoid to lessen those. I unfortunately sit a lot at work so that doesn't help, try to move around as much as possible. Sitting or walking for too long causes great pain. I know that there are lots of people out there in much more pain etc. than me and am thankful that I am not in worse shape. Just gets me a little down at times as I would like to do more but patience will win the race :-)