Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT - ask for it even if the doctor doesn't prescribe

emma1eemma1 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My doctor did not prescribe PT. Five months after 2-level ACDF, I was still stiff and had shoulder blade pain. I called the doctor and requested PT.

I have been going to PT for four weeks and feel much better! They get in there and manipulate all those sore spots, do e-stem and some ultrasound. I have a about a dozen exercises to do at home.

I totally recommend the PT, even if your surgeon doesn't seem to think you need it.
advertisement

Comments

• I agree! I just started neck PT and we had our surgery at the same time!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I would also recommend PT. My surgeon doesn't routinely prescribe PT for ACDFers. I eventually requested therapy (2nd surgery) and it was great. In fact, 2 years out and I still do some manual physical therapy!

I think it is important to note that most surgeons don't want ACDF patients to begin PT right away. They wait for some healing to begin first.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • While PT can help many, it can also harm. Asking for something that your surgeon doesn't think you need or recommend can prove to be an unwise idea. If nothing else, ask your surgeon if he/she cares to explain why he/she doesn't feel you would benefit from it.

"C"