Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

problem has gotten worse

broken-wingbbroken-wing Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The pain radiating down my arm was borderline manageable until yesterday.

I was trying a mckenzie exercise that I hadn't tried yet.

The one where you let your head fall toward your chest, and then clasp your hands together on the back of your head, and let the weight of the elbows pull the head down.

I did it like 8 reps. I went back and looked at the book, and it said to do them only 2-3 reps.

Now the pain down my arm is constant and is disrupting my sleep.

Am I doomed?

Is there any hope that this disc(s) will heal with conservative treatment?

I feel like I ruined any chance of recovery that I had.

Thanks in advance.

• More than likely due to your injury you have just set yourself back some. Remember conservative treatment is not meant for everyone as sometimes the more you try to solve it the worse it can get, but it depends on the extent of your injury. I wouldn't try and do anything for a few days and see if settles down.
  • Before my surgery if I were to look down at all my neck would go into a severe pain spasm that would least at least a week. Just thinking about that exercise gives me pain!

Surgery is not as bad as you may think. I would much rather do surgery all over again than do conservative treatments all over again. The surgery has taken care of 70% of my pain so far (It was about 5 months ago). I can live with 30%. Have you consulted with a neurosurgeon?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Like Donna, the thought of that exercise makes me shutter. I can't put my head down enough to hold a hanger while a put a pair of pants on it, much less forcing it into that position. Ouch!

Have you had cervical surgery before? If not, have you been diagnosed with a cervical problem?

Take good care of that cervical spine of yours...it may be fixed with conservative methods, but it's possible you've set yourself back and need to try and keep it still and let it reset.

Take care,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    conservative, from a Physical Therapist, from a magazine, etc all needs to be carefully reviewed before attempted.

You would think after 35+ years of dealing with physical therapists and various exercises, that I would have everything right.

WRONG! There have still be exercises that I do incorrectly. It takes an expert to watch what I am doing to identify what I am doing wrong and make the corrections.

When it comes to the spine, make 100% sure that the exercise you are doing is approved and that you are doing it correctly.

So many times, exercise not done as above can cause some additional pain and setbacks. Heck, even when done correctly, you may have a setback.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com