Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Temperature of approx 100 degrees after 3 level ALIF.

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery

My mom had a 3 level ALIF on Tuesday. She has had a temperature fluxuating from 99.5 to 100.5 ever since about 12 hours post op. She got home from the hospital on Thursday. The doctor thinks it is from her thyroid but it is still not going away. We are going to call her surgeon and endocrineologist on Monday. I am not expecting anyone to give medical advice... I am just wondering if anyone ever had a similar experience after the procedure.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• You are wise to consult the doctor.

That said, make sure she is doing her deep breathing and coughing to clear secretions. Often patients will run a fever within a day of surgery due to the lungs not fully expanding. When we are in pain and laying in bed, we often don't keep our lungs fully inflated, and we sure as heck don't like to cough, because it's painful to do so. She may be trying to fight off pneumonia from not fully inflating her lungs and clearing secretions.

Don't take this as a diagnosis, because her fever could absolutely have another cause. But there is never any harm done from making sure she is doing her deep breathing and coughing. That is always a great thing to do post op.

Please keep us posted on her progress.
  • She is coughing but barely......... She tries to breathe deep but it is most definately not deep. She won't take pain medications. Of course last night her pain got so bad she was delerious and at that point my dad forced her to take a percocet. It was either that or going to the ER (We were up all night- she even tried to go down the stairs and vaccum!). Then she started crying because we were mad at her! I keep telling her the importance of taking it before the pain gets bad. I seriously do not understand the anti pain med attitude. Why be in a lot of pain when it can be lessened. Tonight I am hoping she will take meds before going to bed and throughout the night. She has an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance... so when her pain gets bad it is beyond bad.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg