Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

upper hamstring pain

kaillbkkaillb Posts: 2
I have pain in my upper hamstring when I run. Some back stretches remove the pain for a short time. If I run fast, the pain disappears. I assume this is because the point of pressure on my back is changed. My physiotherapist says my leg seems to be fine.
If I switch shows and run att a medium pace the pain sometimes moves to the outside of my shin.
Where in my back is the nerve that is probably causing this pain sensation? A rsdio x-ray of my back a few years ago did show a number (3) of hernias.

• If you do a search for a dermatome map, that will show the map of the paths where the nerve signals run throughout your body. However, are you sure it isn't a musculo-skeletal issue, just asking as from what you say, it only seems to affect you when you run.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I think kaillb might be on the button suggesting a change of pressure on the cord might be the cause of the mystery hamstring injury.

About 3 months prior to my surgery the left hamstring swelled and went hard as iron and was sore, sore, sore and remained so until after the surgery, when it gradually got better.
    No one took any notice of my protestations at the time and I must assume they didn't know why the hamstring had gone like that or were too absorbed in the other symptoms I was exhibiting.

Before I got the diagnosis of a t- spine hernia, my physiotherapist had noticed that certain symptoms got worse after certain exercises. A subsequent MRI showed the calcified disc and considerable inflamation, so much so that it was thought, at first, that I had a tumour. Thankfully this proved not to be the case, but it was the inflamation that was causing the pressure on the cord and the increased neurological deficits.

No one ever told me directly, but the Sherlock Holmes in me made the link between the hamstring and the inflamation at the herniation site.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • From a muscular standpoint, you recruit different muscles walking than you do running. the Gluteus maximus, the largest of the gluteal muscles that extend the hip, and the hamstrings are really only recruited when you are running, not walking. Since your pain is associated with motions that do not require as much extension through the hip, your problem may lie with the other two gluteal muscles. If you're running on hills, the hamstrings could be recruited more.

You didn't say if you're male or female. Running is harder on women than on men because of the hip width, something called the Q angle.

A lot of things could come into play here, and I wouldn't assume they are spine related right off the bat. I'd find a good physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine to go a complete check for stance, stride, gait, leg length, and muscle balance. A single overly tight muscle can throw off your whole body, especially with something like running. PT would be a good place to start, along with a good in-depth analysis from the feet up.
  • As a result of your suggestion I've been doing more research beginning from a dermatome map. It is, however,not all that easy to trace back from where I have the major pain to exactly where the nerve originates in the back. This is of course partly because such "imaginary" pains usually do not have an exact location. I believe I feel the pain higher up in the semitendinous but haven't been able to trace it back to where those nerves originate in the back. I'm not sure if the posterior cutaneous nerve of the thigh only goes to the skin or if it also penetrates more deeply into the muscle.
    (I have been to both a sports doctor, where I also take all the athletes that I coach, and to a masseur and to a sports practitioner of Naprapathic Medicine. All say that nothing apppears wrong with my muscles. I've had this problem for about 2 years. I still run. I won the Canadian masters Championships for the M65 class in 800m last summer. The problem is that the hamstring pain makes it difficult to relax the muscle properly when I'm running. After january I hope to compete in the Swedish Championships in the next age class.) I need more assistance in determining which part of my back to work on.
  • The dermatome map relates to nerve ends, that is the nerves which radiate from the spinal cord at a particular point. If the cord itself is impinged then this can affect ANY area, or particular nerves or muscles, below that point.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde