Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disk decompression

martinbrmmartinbr Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a 59 yr old male and I am scheduled for surgery for what my neurosurgeon describes as a disk decompression for a L5 lumbar on my left sided. He told me that he wants to go in on only the left side and do a disk decompression. Can someone explain what this is?

I have had problems for the last 3 years and already gone thru three epidurals that have not worked. Actually made the pain worse in my left side going down my backside and into my lower leg and tingling sometimes in the top of the left foot. Both of my soles of my feet have been numb for two years now. I don't know if this is coming from my back but I am at the point that I can hardly walk.

I am really nervous about having this sugery. I am not new to surgeries. I had neck surgery 20 years ago and it worked. Had a very good neuro. But the back is different.

I have put on a considerable amount of weight since I have been put on permanent disability. I know this is not doing me any good for my condition, but in the past when I was thinner, I had problems with my back as well.

I have tried walking, but only make it about 500 ft and have to turn around because of the pain. Have also been trying the gym with no sucess.

I have been told that the neuro that i have is a very good one. I have done a search for him online and found that he is listed as one of the better ones in our area.

Can someone shed some light on this kind of sugery and anyone that have had this type please share your outcome with me?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And welcome to S.H. forums. If you type that into the blue box at the top of this page. You can get all kinds of info on the subject and procedure.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Jim, thank you so much. I will do that. I have also done the apparant is to do a search tru yahoo and recieved some clarity on different types of decompression.