Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What happens now since my Sciatic is getting better?

dax0007ddax0007 Posts: 66
Hello ALL! First thanks for everyones support on this great site.. I know I am not YET as bad as allot of people but this BACK JOURNEY has been crazy... I would just like to ask for people advise WHAT DO THEY DO WHEN THEY REALIZE THEIR SCIATICA has gotten BETTER BUT NOT GONE??

Basically in Feb,2011-June 2011 i had mild/moderate back pain for 3-4 months.. Had MRI nurmmouers issues from L3-to S1, but nothing that stood out to 3 different doctors.BUT IHAD NO SCIATICA PAIN- sitting was horrible but walking made me feel better

I felt great from July 2011-Nov1 I felt.. I worked out "carefully" machines only and ELITICAL machine for 4 months or so.. I lost 15lbs. I felt almost normal!

Nov 2 or so --- mild to moderate lower back pain- so i told myself- "Hey relax for a few days", then after 4 days BAM Sciatica in left leg into calf, then BAM mild scaitica in right leg.. From Nov 6 - Nov 19 moderate pain when WALKING in left legs scaitics-- MORE THAN MODERATE but i could still walk.. SITTING AND SLEEPING MADE ME FEEL ALMOST PERFECT, but walking was pretty darn bam

I had another MRI which basicaly was the same as the one from 3/2011 accept 1 disc look little mroe herniated to the doc, but that disc was L3-4 which shoud not be causeing my sciatic BUT could be..

OKAY FASTWORD... Here i am Nov 21.. I can WALK NORMAL.. My back feels semi normal JUST mild left leg pain and sometime MORE if i push it. but i notice a huge difference account I am not screaming in pain... So what does everyone recommend? Continue stretching via MAKENZIE lumbar stuff? Swimming? I am afriad to touch a dumbell or a weight..

What do people do when it gets better!!

• Don,

I hope you are still feeling good. As far as what type of exercise to do while feeling good, I would strongly recommend finding a good physical therapist. My main reasoning for this, and I am in the same boat, is that surgery is often something to consider if an extended exercise period fails (months, as long as no big symptoms occur) and you want to maximize your chances of getting better without surgery. Ideally you should find an exercise plan that you can do day to day and be consistant with, the dash and crash pain cycle is exhausting and not good for a long term pain management plan.

There are some movements and exercises that would be perfectly safe and normal without a back issue that can cause back strain and lots of pain now. A physical therapist will be able to show you movements to avoid, and get you going on good safe exercises. My PT is able to do myofascial massage that has help me tremendously as far as getting my muscle guarding to relax and to start to allow normal muscle function in my back (much more benificial than trigger point injections for me).

Having pain change in your back and in your legs over time is totally normal. I wouldnt read into this week to week change too much, but if you have any new symptoms I would let your surgeon know. I will go from walking almost totally normal to a heavy limp overnight sometimes, pain is such a weird thing. Even after four years of this I still have no idea why certain pain flares, or good relative pain free periods happen. I wish you the best and keep in touch...Mitch

Best of luck to you and I hope you are feeling well....Mitch
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...about seeing someone.

When my back pain first started and would be relieved I went back to regular activities and threw it for a loop again.

Then I was told no more with the bending, twisting, lifting..etc...
    I'm not saying that is your situation, but that when your body has symptoms and wants attention, it's good to get checked out to see if it short term, or whatever you need to do to help yourself to heal.

Best of luck to you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History