Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1 C2 fusion 11/21/2011

dwozddwoz Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
The injury occurred while diving into a shallow pool; my spouse had a collar on for 4 months but due to ligament complications the fracture wasn’t healing properly and surgery was recommended. Patient is 24 years old, female, and of good health.
Today, my significant other underwent the c1/c2 fusion done at ABC in Detroit. According to the doctor the surgery went very well however pain levels/discomfort/numbness etc. is still questionable. From what i gathered the doctor used screws and no rods had to be implemented. I left the hospitable just an hour ago and plan to return tomorrow morning.
I am posting to gather any information that may be helpful; recovery time, pain, numbness, things i can do to help as a spouse, and things i can recommend for the patient.

thanks in advance for any good advice, ill be keeping this post updated regularly and hope to share good news soon.

Post edited, naming of specific medical institutes and doctors is not permitted at Spine-Health without approval

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 12/01/11

• My surgery was october 12th & i did get rods & 4 screws in the pedicles, along with wire mesh behind it. The first week was tough - not going to lie. But soon after that by week 2 i was feeling good! They removed my staples - 26 of them - 2 wks later and i seemed to be fine after that. I am 6 weeks post op & i feel almost normal but of course dont have much range of motion yet. I start PT next week & will be back to work after i see how i tolerate that. I am still a little tired and my incision is numb but i dont care. It is huge 7" long. I still get some pulling at the incision site but not much pain at all.
    Good luck to your wife!
    Ill answer any of her quwstions - just ask.
    2011 C1/C2 Fusion due to os odontoideum & fracture from motorcycle accident
    2014 L4/L5 Herniation