Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here!! Just sharing my journey!!

Mannie414MMannie414 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone! I'm a 37 year old female and just had spinal fusion surgery (L4-5) two weeks ago!! I've had a pretty good outcome so far and hope it continues!! I was in a car accident about 3 yrs ago, had wicked back pain right after, MRI was done and the discs at L4-5 were buldging. Did some therapy (both regular and water--water was most helpful I found) and got through it with some pain meds and a muscle relaxer..I was good to go until last year and the pain started getting worse, having lots of numbness in my right leg..which turned to pain and problems walking. Went the pain management route (injections, meds, TENS unit) and my first pain dr was wonderful, but then my family and I moved back to my home state so I had to start the process over! My last pain management dr was horrible!! He did a facet injection on my right side and when he got to the last spot it went wrong and my leg was a mess as was my back...was supposed to go back for the left side and I cancelled it, but I went in to see him just to discuss what happened and what my alternatives were. He totally blew me off and was a jerk!! It was horrible!! All he could suggest was going to an ortho spine surgeon and left it at that! So I went, had another MRI done and xray and the discs had herniated at this point, had a severe case of degenerative disc disease and serious nerve issues on the right! He suggested at this point the fusion may be my best option and also referred me to another spine surgeon to get another opinion if I wanted it! I did and he agreed that would be my best bet! So I had the surgery two weeks ago and I feel a lot better!! The nerve on my right was torn up so my surgeon inserted a rod instead of the typical screws..left side has the screws! My leg felt better immediately after surgery and I'm able to walk again!! The pain in my back seems to be much better as well!! I obviously still have the surgical pain, but I don't feel the old disc pain..so I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out!!
I see my surgeon tomorrow for my first post op so I'm curious as to how he thinks I've progressed!!
I'm glad I found this place!! Seems to be a ton of knowledge and a great resource!!

• you're feeling better, and welcome to the SH Board! Just make sure you don't overdo it, which is easy to do when the pain has eased. It's a long recuperation, so be patient with yourself, and you're welcome to post at any time (yes, we are a caring, friendly bunch, since we've all been there done that when it comes to spine issues). Love 'n >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess