Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Irritated

EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 926
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Pain Management
My wife and I attended a "get together" at a neighbor's house this past weekend. We met a lady who began sharing her story of how bad her spine was and that she was just awarded 100% SSI disability due to her situation. I told her where I am in the PM world. She began telling me what all I had to do in order to get SSI disability to go through. I told her that I was in no way interested in getting disability. I'm 45 and enjoy working though sometimes it's to my own detriment.

As the night went on, we all heard about how bad she had it. Then, the music started up and she began dancing like there was no tomorrow. On my best day I couldn't move like she was.

I was so irritated that I told my wife that we needed to leave or I was going to say something to her. It's bad enough that we have to sometimes convince medical folks that we really are in pain and not just trying to get over on them. Now, everyone there has the impression that everyone with a bad back can be on SSI disability and dance the night away. Geez!

What we need are more investigators to bust fraudulent claims and reduce medical/insurance costs.
Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement

Comments

• I feel kind of the same way you do when I see it, but then I think of those whom have issues getting through, and have serious issues. But like you I get very frustrated when I see anyone abusing the system. What I do hope is that those people whom get on, they are followed to see if they are still attending regular doctors appointments and they have not dropped off a ton of medications once the disability was approved. But it does matter like all things where you live and what judge you have.

Today I went to the doctors, and as I am going in, I notice this guy in a handicap spot. He jumps out of his car, so I look as he walks, and he walks like any normal person. He kind of looks around, to see whom is watching him, and then off he goes. Of course I look at the car for handicap plates, but he has mirror hanger. I walk in the doctors building and there he is going up the steps, not the elevator that is available but the steps. He no issues running up those steps. Seriously, at medical buildings is where you find the most disabled people, so you would think he would leave the spots for those whom really need it, but no. I have to tell myself karma, and it is all around. So hopefully he found his today?
  • I remember about 15 years ago answering a knock on my front door. The caller was a private investigator tasked with following up on a neighbor across the street. This guy came straight to the point, telling me that my neighbor was on disability for "back problems". The PI wanted to know if I had seen my neighbor doing anything that a spiney shouldn't be doing. I have no problem believing that they're still watching.

For those of you who are curious, I really didn't know that neighbor and had nothing to say (good or bad) about him.
    Disability retirement
  • I just don't understand how people who are knowingly committing fraud can live with themselves.

I'm pretty conservative, but if the government wanted to triple the investigative arm of the federal government, I would be all for that.

Keith
  • that folks like the ones EMSGuy and Tamtam mentioned are the ones responsible for the sadistically long waiting periods required for SSI/SSDI approval. That makes my blood boil!!
  • I have noticed that most people who are true "spineys" or have any real disability what so ever don't complain all the time and just try to be "normal". They (we) don't want to talk about their pain all the time, and just do what we can through pain management/surgery whatever to try to get back to normal. True spineys are among the toughest people I know.

I know some people that can't get SSDI who truly need it and should qualify, and I know some people that shouldn't have it that do get it. How they got it I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't judge either because I can't see how a person is feeling all the time.

EMS guy- I would have been very annoyed as well at that "party".
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    ..may not know the whole story.

There are people who take advantage of the system..no doubt.

But sometimes there are people suffering chronic pain who may just want to feel normal if only for a few hours one evening.

Being with my granddaughter, I have faked it and gone down the slide with her and moved around more than I should have. But I didn't want to miss that moment...and my body paid dearly for that decision.. for about 5 days of pain and suffering.

But I was happy to have that memory andhopefully she has it also. You said you work to your own detriment. and sometimes some play to their own detreiment. It's all choices. Trying to make the best of not so good situation.

Just a thought. :)
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Your right, Savage. There are times I do stupid things so that my family and I can have a good time together. But, at the same time I'm not professing to everyone how bad off I am regarding pain and discomfort. Your point is well taken!

I guess I'm a little biased because of people I have to encounter in my career who are simply drug seekers or who are gaming the system. When I see a person and they tell me their at a 10 (pain between 1 and 10) but yet their walking around their house, bending over looking for their shoes or purse and then literally hop up on the strecther, I just have to shake my head.

Maybe someday, they will really feel what a 10 is like!

Keith
  • That is one of my pet peeves as well. I have frequent kidney stones and when I am waiting in the ER I over hear the triage and someone say their pain is a 10 and then in the waiting room they are talking and laughing. When I have a stone I am literally crawling and writhing on the floor. Try having your uriter tore apart and then the doc gives you a diaretic! I know a 10. I get frustrated when I read posts where someone says they have been at a 10 for x amount of days and then lists all the things they did, let alone sitting at a computer posting. I think it affects how pain docs relate as well. If patients go in and are fine and say they are at a 10 well then how does that look.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    I would never care if someone investigated me. But I just curious because I never heard of it.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Savage said:
    I would never care if someone investigated me. But I just curious because I never heard of it.
    I assume that you were talking to me. Yes, I do live in the U.S (Michigan). No, I have no idea who employed this investigator. My guess would be just that, a guess, nothing more.
    Disability retirement
  • I gotta say, I'm one of the ones that does things we shouldn't. About once a month we have date night. Often I dance, a lot, and I pay for it. Last night was date night. Today I haven't moved off the recliner with my heating pad. I do this because it used to be something I really enjoyed. I miss being normal, I want my husband to have a semi-normal life. We've both given up so much for my pain. I don't know the situation, but I try not to judge people. I also don't like to talk about the pain, my answer when people ask is I've had better days. I'm not on ssi, but I will never totally rule it out.
  • i agree with a few people on this thread. who are we to judge other people when we don't know the entire story? i've done things that i know would cause me pain because i wanted to get out of the house after being in the house for 5 days straight. some people might look at me and say (oh look mildred, that lady over there is on disability raping the system dry... she sure doesn't look disabled). well excuse me people (meaning mildred and gertrude), just because i choose to sit for 2 hours to play bingo doesn't make me feel like i'm taking advatage of the system. my friends know that i take meds (breakthru) before i go out to do things because i know the pain will kick in and then i'll pay for it later. going out more has made me feel better about myself because i feel getting out in public makes me feel like i'm part of the human race. and yes, i have a handicapped parking placard, and don't look like i have to be carried into a building. but people to whom this is important, they don't know about other underlying conditions like MS or things like that ... i go shopping some times because it helps me get exercise and leaning over a cart (stenosis) makes my back feel better. i park in handicapped parking when it is cold and icy because of a fear of slipping (4 surgeries including multi-level fusion with instrumentation. i by no means am feeling defensive by this discussion nor do i feel like i have to justify things ... i'm just making a statement about people not knowing the full story sometimes

i guess my take home message is that not everyone who is on permanent disability or has a handicapped permit is faking it, or "doesn't look disabled" when they get out of their car. it is not a good thing to generalize... but i am not saying people here are generalizing ... i listen to my doctors and do what they say. a lot of things hurt to do, but i do some things every now and then anyway. it might really really hurt me, but i medicate myself before any activity i know will likely cause me pain, and after i get back i very often take a nice warm jaccuzi later, get in my jammies and bed with a heated matress pad and watch some tv until the meds kick in and i can fall asleep.

yes, there are people who abuse the system, but i know in my country (canada) federal disability is VERY hard to get and i don't think they just grant it flippently

i don't know why i'm going on and on now, i'll just shut up now. lol. don't mind me

advertisement