Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain medication dosage inadequate. Doctor makes me feel quilty

asq54aasq54 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi,this is my first time in a chat room.
I have become totally frustrated with my pain doctor, even to the point on anger.He makes me feel guilty for having to use narcotic pain meds, but they are the only drugs that have helped me. I was on a stable dose of Kadian for four years until that doctor was driven out of business by the Regulators, DEA, I don't really know. Now I'm on a Kadian dose that is less than half of my previous dosage and it is totally inadequate. I don't know how my dose compares to others, so I'm in the dark and hopefully someone on this site can give me some guidance on what to do. Can a doctor be sued for not treating you adequately due to fear of regulators? It really comes down to that. My doctor says that he is scrutinized so intently that he is fearful of increasing prescription dosages. He says that the regulators only want to see reductions is medication. Thank you for listening.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Any doctor worth their weight will never be concerned about regulators and the DEA. They understand their patients, document everything, perform whatever diagnostic and clinical tests necessary to come up with a medical view of the proper medication level.
    That way they have all the justifications they need.

That being said, there will be different dosage levels for different patients. Doctors will based their decision on many different factors, much including the patients emotional interactions with the pain and medications.

A doctor can easily justify 60mg of Oxycontin 3x a day for one patient, where 5mg of Oxycontin a week would be too much.

Pain, narcotic medications is NOT the only way to manage pain. Take a brief look at this thread
    The Blend You will see that there is so much more involved with total pain control.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com