Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wondering what if

birdiecupbbirdiecup Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
It is late after 3am again. I awoke in pain again . But not as bad as most nights. I guess I could post under many different subjects ,as I have like most of us more than one problem by now. I am now 62 and feeling stupid for not keepping my blue cross. It was just getting tooooo expensive at over $700.00 a month for just two doctor visits paid and with all my meds ,a short time of help in scripts. Now I am to young for medicare. so without insurance. I didn't get disability, for my doctors that had been giving me Ty-3 for several years did not ever write why...that I had fibro. or my carpal tunnel was bad enough?? Or the back pain from picking up dead weight patients ..oh well can't do anything about that now...................Its a long boring to anyone else story. about 2000 we finnally moved to the country. Not where I thought I'd be. Up home ,but a nice small town in the thumb.
The only way we could afford a place was to get a forclosed place . with lots of work....First mistake..to much work for someone in my deconditioned body. so I continually hurt my self. I complained about back pain but most times because it also cause sciatic pain . they always thought of the lumbar area...and that area wasn't *bad enough* to warrent any real attention..and by that time my Husband was worse off than I with his knees and back problems than did show up on an xray. I fought hard and long,but did not get paid real attention to until I lost the ability to walk or anything else from the under the breastline down.. but when It became very apparent that again nothing was going to be done but more extensive therapy...I go mad and worked hard to move my toes. I was lucky I now know. and my Prayer were answered. I started to move. and refused to go to this place He wantted me to go...it was all an hour from home..how was my husband supposed to see me and still try to work in his condition. I know now that my problem could have been concidered acute transverse myelitis...why I say lucky is because this was in 05 and in 06 my son did become in a very short time a paraplegic with TM only he died a year later... I learned a lot about TM since..Ive been a member of TMA from 06. MY husbands neuosurgeon took pity on me and had a another myelogram ect... een though I had them at the other hospital when i was in for that short ten days. and GOT ALL BETTER??? THEY SHOWED A SEVERE PROTRUSION COMPRESSING MY SPINAL CORD INTO HALF ITS NORMAL SPACE.......SO I was sent to Cl clinic hospitals spinal doctors that do transthoracic approach to a T5-6 ... well again they were definately on my side. I did have a real problem...and surgery was warrented. but all the test had to be done again at there place (each trip was bad..especially for someone with a very bad case of rls which had gotton worse with the other neuro problems. sitting was hard to do My old doctor knew it was alway a 24hour thing with me just maybe worse at night. but doctors up here would not listen. so I had to go back home again to old doctor...unttil my med augmentation made the trip impossible.... anyway we fooled arround for over a couple years with should I or should I not . Because of the good possibility of it not completely helpping because of how bad I was by this time....Well through all this my husand go sicker and was in the hospital at the same time and same ICU ward as our son ,his last time (months) in...I almost lost them both. BAD WINTER traveling everyday to saginaw. My husband made it, but is still in much pain and can't work. Got disability in a just a couple months. I didn't want to try near the same time,it would not look good. Lik e I just wanted to be like him. but we tried to keep my blue Cross up but it got higher and higher because of all the test and now more health problems had happened the stress on my body. ... I never did have the surgery. I think after seeing both my men on vents and a dozen tubes coming from and to them just scared me...at least I think that may be part of it...and when was I going to be able to do it...I had to stay in Cleveland for a month...a week in hospital and at least three in neuro recovery M..center. I have been through some read bad times again. almost as as bad as when I first hurt my back. that felt like a boa constrictor 24/7 for months and nothing helped. My first I gave up my mirapex and even though it made me sick years ago I tried sinement again.. it was a bad three months of vomiting and it very slowly working on the severe rls pain and jerking... I looked like I was having seizure type? health problem, I don't know what I looked like ,but I do now really realize why some people have asked it they could get parkinsons (I guess because of the mirapex?) and sinement...I have been on all of the meds one tries . I think 20 maybe.?? oh well it doesn't matter. I still have bad times. but I never have been symptom free from the rls...and the neuropathy ect.... that will always be...I was told things for both will get worse not better. and I do wonder what medicine I will be on next. but I don't care for now I can sit somedays and others not. I got my foot to bend into a boot and one with a little heel for the first time in many years. For my Mother 90th birthday Party. I am still recovering from all the getting planning gettng ready and doing it, but it was worth every pain. She seemed pleased. I want to get busy and make her a memory book to look at as soon as THANKGIVING is over... The said they had to be with His side of the family this year ,so I thought I got out of it..but they will be here saturday. thats good they all wanted to be here for the whole long weekend as usual,but couldn't. I did most of he CHRISTMAS shopping already on line..thank goodness for paypal...! we can't and don't charge anymore. I really should be paying for the propane bill and last years proptaxes. Life is hard for many michiganders now. . I finally had blood work done both doctors were demanding it since it has been about a year since last one. Man did you know that even though I went through quest,which is cheaper than local hospital by a few hundred ,I was advised. The cost is almost 900.00 I hope to get a discount I found out I can try ..sending form out this week. I has both doctors appt this week. as one cancelled on me just hours before last month and I schedualed them every three to four months apart. each time I waited for 35 at one and almost two hours at the other and I was in and out in less than five minutes...I simply told them while I may have some problems ,they were not important enough to be worth the money it would cost me for any treatment. and no more test please!! so it is my fault. what could they do anyway. But as I said in the begining I wonder If I had had the surgery. If I would be better off or worse. maybe I am luckyGod knows what is best for me....I have to believe that or go nuts so this is just a year end and this first post I have writtne in a couple years here...bye for now...forgive the writting and misspells it is 5am now and I should try to get a nap...the alarm is set for 6:30 today is wed...hair and shopping for Mom.. and I have to clean house and bake for saturday.... I wish I could be happy with store bought...nothing wrong with that at all...my typeA personallity fibro is showing...I did it to my self alway doing everyhing and being on every committee but I could sleep back them either..so I was always thinking and doing and living on ty 3

• It looks like you have been a member here for over 2 years. What took you so long to post? From the things you wrote, I would say that you need us! The members here are good to offer encouragement and support.

It was very difficult to understand much of what you wrote, but I'll try to comment on a couple of points.

I'm thinking there is some kind of state health insurance in Michigan. Have you tried applying for help through the state? I understand having to give up Blue Cross--it is expensive. It sounds as if neither you nor your husband are working, so my guess is that you would qualify for some help.

What is rls and TM? I'm not familiar with either of those terms. From what you write, you've had a rough few years. My condolences for the loss of your son. No mother should have to go through losing a child.

I too have a difficult time sleeping. Long soaks in the bathtub help me to relax. I also enjoy drinking hot cocoa. There are several things that help me to relax and go to sleep, but inevitably the pain wakes me up again and I have to start the process all over again. Have you tried these things, or even tried sleeping in the recliner?
    I was in and out in less than five minutes...I simply told them while I may have some problems ,they were not important enough to be worth the money it would cost me for any treatment. and no more test please!!
    Are you sure this is wise? With your thoracic spine being bad enough to cause temporary paralysis, shouldn't you have something done about this?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I had a transthoracic at t5-6 and it absolutely changed my life for the good.
    I had got to the parathesis (temporary paralysis) stage and was told in no uncertain terms it was "now or never". Without surgery the next step is permanent paralysis.
    You may not be far off from having to make that decision and my sincere opinion is HAVE IT DONE and SOONER rather than as an emergency later.
    Detach your focus on other people for just a minute and focus on your own needs. This is important.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • I am very happy that it worked. REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My temporary paralysis was ]kinda scary at first. I had gone to the local hospital because of that and I needed to relieve myself....well I ended up just being sent home and said if I did not feel better I should go to a neurologist...you can emagine..later when I wrote and told the hospital what I thought of them, they said I never asked to be cathed. and I dhould hae been in more pain if I had not gone yet that day....I did more than once...but they had someone a police had broght in --high on drugs so you know where their attention was... anyway I tried my best to tough it out..but by next morning I had to call for another ambulance ..I kept appologizing ..wheather was terrible. very eary Jan in Michigan...anyway I told them what happened at our hospital so they said they wanted to take me into Saginaw.. I let them take me into the one they could get me into..Saginaw. I was only there ten days. I asked everday if they knew what was wrong..I never was told anythng...I admit I go mad at them.. I was still mad at my doctor for not giving me a shot for sciatic pain for Christmas..and I also asked what my pap results were...it had been two weeks he just ignored me I asked him in the hospital also no answer....I finally decided to find someone else for next year..I was sure if something was wrong they would have said something...six months later I was told to come in asap for my follow up...I made an appointment with someone else. I should not be going back at all ,that not all that has happened over the years..but its hard to find a doctor in a small town they all know each other...when my son tried to change from that doctor to another they said they couldn't do it.. oh my I am way off ....see after six years I must still be upset..I didn't think I was...I am ashamed. So I got all of my hospital record for the ten days and made an appoitment for U of M -Ann Arbor- that doctor told me that I was very sick , but the surgery was dangerous and maybe they couldn't or just didn't think I needed it just time would take care of things...My husband doctor took over..the Other Hosital in Saginaw. the rest is in the previous post. I am still numb on the left and right is very much the op.. sometimes my neuro test are not good other times real bad..but I am hanging in there I have no other choice now...I wish I would have pushed the doctors to get with it and had the surgery somedays and others I see my husband and see ..but I guess that is not fair..his problems were very different and we knew it was just a try to help some of the pain..but doc A
    is a good honest doctor that will pray with you...he told Rob that he would never be pain free.and should try to get disability right now... In fact his whole spine is bad He has the Harrington rods and more.in the Lumbar region..His neck hurts up into his head..and he was supposed to get a injection for that last week, but I told the doc that his ox was 92-96 all of Nov so far..but refused to go to hospital because of the cost (the 20%) Medicare doesn't pay..(I change compaies last week for the better I hope) and It was my Moms 90the..parties lots of family arround. He fell today on the ramp landed on his back and bumped his head bad...He feels rottin...but out doctors offfice closed Wed. noon and won't be open till Monday I just noticed he hadn't given me my special script for my fentanyl patch.. so I rushed to them while out with Mom today. well is almost midnight.. and I need to try to sleep Thanks Giving tomarrow.. bye for now the gabby birdiecup (thats what I collect) OH to the other post My doctor was Doctor M? and the thoracic one its been so long I forgot..............and I have the whole surgery procedure on my pc...so I know about the rib and how long that incison is

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted. No naming of health care facilities or physicians is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator Numbskull