Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Found hospital to do surgery - now what?!

FeistyFrecklesFFeistyFreckles Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain

Thank you all again for your help. I posted in introductions yesterday with my severe back and hip pain. I go into a primary doctor today whom I am hoping will offer me some pain relief though the week.

Here is my questions-

I called a really good local hospital and spoke to a director of billing about payment plans for surgery with no Insurance. Guess what they agreed and are putting it in writing and offering me a 45% discount - close to what ins companies pay.

I then called my surgeon office to go in on Tuesday to speak with him about surgery. I haven't met this one yet as my surgeon I was dealing with was a spine surgeon for my l4l5. But I can deal with that pain better than my hip pain at moment.

So now what? When I go into surgeon office what do I say? How do I approach him doing the surgery and allowing me to set up payments on his part? Do surgeons do that?

I am in severe pain and I don't feel like I can hold out much longer this way and I am in a deep dark place mind wise. I am trying really hard though to keep it together and reading in these boards have been VERY helpful.

Also today when I go to the primary doc for my first visit - any idea what to say to the guy? Ugh I just need relief really bad I don't care how I get it

If I were to go to the ER of that hospital would there be anyway to talk a surgeon on call to helping me if something was just hurting really bad or am I crazy for thinking that?

• If they ask at the dr office what insurance then you say self pay, Dont they know already when you had your 1 st visit with the dr that you have no insurance?

Thats one of the 1 st things they usualy ask when making dr appointment, Only way you can find out if dr office will set up payment plan is by calling them before you even see the new dr and they will tell you on the phone if its ok to do it that way or not,

Just call there office before your appointment, Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • The very first time that you see a doctor the office will conduct a "wallet biopsy" on you. Only after they establish your ability to pay (whatever arrangements you make) will they see you. This applies to public assistance, health care insurance, self pay, or whatever. This is a standard business deal, nothing more.
    Disability retirement
  • I went to the primary doc today who took one look at me and sent me right to ER. The doc at ER took one look at me and said oh my gosh you need surgery. I was basically begging him to do surgery as he was the on all hip doc. Said he could not unless it was for a severe broken hip type situation. He gave me Percocet (20 tabs) and another (30 tabs) of loratab to take between now and Tuesday when I meet with the hip surgeon I made an appt with. Also out me on a steroid and muscle relaxers and told me to rest on heat and ice.

I explained me entire situation and he told me to call his office too on Friday to maybe talk to another surgeon that would work with me on my surgery since I clearly need it and fast. I am finally felling better and at home in bed.

I was in the worst pain before I got the meds filled. He said if this didn't help to call his office to speak with him since he is on call til Friday. Super nice guy. Also said you are pretty depressed. Ummmm yeah I am in severe pain 24 hours a day :-(

No turkey visits for me tomorrow. Staying home in bed.

• I am glad you have found someone to help you and at least got some pain relief. Don't get to down if the first surgeon say they won't do surgery without insurance. I personally have found that some surgeons won't even see a patient without insurance, unless it comes through the ER and is a emergency surgery. But just stay on the path your on, and if the first one doesn't work out call the other doctor back that has helped you with the meds. One thing be sure you let the primary care doctor you went to, know they gave you pain meds. Don't assume he/she will get the information. When you see the surgeon, be sure to take the medications with you also, and I mean the entire bottles, in case there is any questions. Good luck and hopefully you will have less pain for the week. Don't feel to bad about the turkey day deal, I will be doing the same thing myself as I am sure many here will do, or make a quick day of things.
  • Thanks tam.

Today has been better with the meds. I did go to my inlays just to eat for about 20 min and then home. I definetely will be staying on my path. I am also going to take your advice and take in the full bottles with me whenever I go in. I will also make sure to call the primary doc tomorrow to advise of the meds I received. I m grateful he eased my pain. I am just trying to take them "only" when I really need them. Today only had to take 2 and will probably take a lor-tab before I go to bed. Cross fingers I stay on this path. The steriods and muscle relaxers have helped a LOT. I don't like the hot flashes from the steriods but I will take it any day.
This discussion has been closed.