Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member first post....Help!!!

nebnneb Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On 8/6/2011 I had L5, S-1 Herniated Disc surgery, where there was a markedly swollen and tensley humped up nerve root. To this day I am still experiencing pain in my right buttock, occasional pain in my thigh, calf, foot and ankle, and moderate to severe pain behind my right knee area.
In the morning, I walk like a 100 yr. old man (I'm 60), but this improves in about a hour. I have cannot put my socks on until I've been moving around and have had a hot bath.I walk with a limp and have difficulty extending my right leg fully, as I walk. I work in an office but am on my feet a lot and do a fair amount of walking. This really hurts the back of my knee......it is such a RELIEF to sit back down. I have taken Vicodin and Norco (both 5-325) and considering asking for something a bit stronger.
It's been about 4 months now and I have not felt any noticeable signs of improvment (maybe there are small ones but I just have not sensed them). Doctor says it takes months berfoe nerve root damage heals and it could be months before I really start to feel improvement. I am getting IMPATIENT, DISCOURAGED, AND DOWN. Can someone PLEASE give me sme input on my situation. I feel so DOWN AND OUT." Thank you in advance.

• Hello, I know what u are going thru.. I am 38 and have been having left leg sciatica and pain in my butt for the past months.. Prior to that i went thru 5 months of moderate lower back pain when it was bad in the morning and got somewhat better in the pm.. Doc want to do 3 level fusion another want s to try MED micro endoscopic decompresion on l3-4 and 4 -5.. What gives ME HOPE is i had similar issues with my CERVICAL after a 09 car accident.. My neck was stiff for 4 months, then i did someting and BAM left arm pain and misery for 3 months(BAD BAD PAIN) and after that i was getting by for 6 months.. It took a YEAR of doing nothing and everything carefuly for my NECK to feel semi normal.. SO what I am trying to say is ur Doctors are RIGHT it can take a YEAR.. But once u got issues u will never be the same. I understand about the MEDS too. No one want to take those things every day.. Lucky for me I can sit with mild pain and lay down, but walking is BAD!.. IN any event STAY TOUGH KEEP YOU HEAD UP! I have been in the dumps too, but hell gotta keep pushin.. Hate to see anyone in pain but if you are on this forum chances are you are in pain and not alone..
    Take care!
  • Thanks for your kind words of HOPE. It makes me feel good to know that I'm not alone and good people in this forum such as yourself really care.
  • Thanks for your kind words of HOPE. It makes me feel good to know that I'm not alone and good people in this forum such as yourself really care.
  • Please take all traffic to the initial thread so that members are not having to switch back and forth and messages getting disjointed or lost.

Spine Health Moderator

Find thread at http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/new-member-1st-post-help
  • Hey there-I can hear the pain in your e-mail and am so sorry. I had a L4-5 fusion last october 2010 due to spondylolisthesis...a lifelong slipped disc that finally REALLY slipped. I waited four months with conservative treatment to finally get fusion surgery. It actually took an additional 6-8 months AFTER surgery for any type of pain to be gone. I was able to get off pain meds (percocet 7.25/325) six weeks after surgery. One thing I did do, though, was continue my exercise program through the pain, which on some afternoons would reach a 4 or 5. Two other friends who had this surgery also told me it took them 6 months to realize at the end of the day one day, "hey, I didn't have any pain today."

I am currently recovering from a L5-S1 fusion (November 17th) for spondylolisis, the congenital kind...in fact the pars interarticularis never fully formed. This time the pain 'seems' to be diminishing faster. But, I know in my mind to give everything at least six months for 'normal' to return. Last year, even after the pain was gone, I actually felt improvement in motion and flexibility EACH AND EVERY DAY. That is key...each and every day. Please hang in there and DO the post operative exercises. Keep moving. I wish you the best. I am doing a daily blog about my current fusion experience at secondfusion.blogspot.com if you are interested.