Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member 1st post ... Help!!!

nebnneb Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On 8/6/2011 I had L5, S-1 Herniated Disc surgery, where there was a markedly swollen and tensley humped up nerve root. To this day I am still experiencing pain in my right buttock, occasional pain in my thigh, calf, foot and ankle, and moderate to severe pain behind my right knee area.
In the morning, I walk like a 100 yr. old man (I'm 60), but this improves in about a hour. I have cannot put my socks on until I've been moving around and have had a hot bath.I walk with a limp and have difficulty extending my right leg fully, as I walk. I work in an office but am on my feet a lot and do a fair amount of walking. This really hurts the back of my knee......it is such a RELIEF to sit back down. I have taken Vicodin and Norco (both 5-325) and considering asking for something a bit stronger.
It's been about 4 months now and I have not felt any noticeable signs of improvment (maybe there are small ones but I just have not sensed them). Doctor says it takes months berfoe nerve root damage heals and it could be months before I really start to feel improvement. I am getting IMPATIENT, DISCOURAGED, AND DOWN. Can someone PLEASE give me sme input on my situation. I feel so DOWN AND OUT." Thank you in advance.

• Wanted to welcome you to spine health! Sorry that you are still experiencing pain. I had a discectomy/lami about a month before you. Di you have any relief immediately after surgery? Is your pain better than before surgery?

The nerves do take a long time to heal. Are you in phsio therapy?

Unfortunately I had no relief at all after surgery and actually got worse. I asked for and had an mri and had reherniated and disc had totally collapsed. I am now going to have an adr.I understand your feelings of being down and discouraged

Hope that you begin to feel better. Hopefully with the help of physio, stetching and time.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • i was thinking and feeling the same thing after my third surgery about 4 years ago, but since i experienced this before after the previous surgeries i told myself that i need to be patient. nerve root injuries do take time to heal. for me it was about 6 months before i even started to feel an appreciable difference. the surgeon said it might not fully heal because the nerve root had been compressed more severely than originally thought. i am still getting twinges down that nerve pathway, but it is nothing like it was before. but we are all different and heal differently. be patient with yourself and try not to rush it or worry too much. they say a watch pot never boils .... i hope this helps. it's just me two cents (2 canadian cents ... lol)
  • and welcome to the Forum! Since we all know how frustrating and depressing back problems can be, you're in the right place. Any time you need to vent, we're here 24/7. Since we're not doctorss, we're not qualified to answer questions of a medical nature, but we can offer suggestions (based on our personal experience or reliable sources, but never concrete medical advice) to discuss with your doctor, and this site has a goldmine of information on spinal disorders. Again, welcome! >:D< , Ess
  • After reading all the letters, I feel pretty good. I'm 3 weeks out from a t-lift surgery. Not any bad pain, just nagging pain from incision (11" incision).
    After putting this off for 10 years, I was afraid I'd waited too long. I'm still on vicoden and gabapentin
    for nerves, and muscle relaxers. My Dr. told me go from bed to recliner and lift no more than a coffee cup. And I'm trying to follow his instructions. When I went back last week to get sutures out, PA told me to do same thing except add a little more walking.
    My time is up and am ready for a nap. Good luck to all you newbies.
  • Hi and welcome to spine health. You will find a lot of great, understanding people here.

I understand the frustration of slow healing! I am about 5 months post op, and although I do feel I am slowly getting better, it sure is extremely slow! Are you doing physical therapy to help speed up the process? I started neck physical therapy about 2 weeks ago and it seems to help a lot.

I heard it takes a long time for nerves to heal, especially if they were pinched/irritated for a long time.

I know its hard to not be frustrated and impatient, but we have to be.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Hi and welcome.
    What surgery did you have (e.g. the name of it)?
    I would say at 4 months you should start seeing some improvement. Did they send you the Physical Therapy at any point? By now you should be ramping down medication not up.

What does your doctor think? Does he want to re-MRI the site to ensure all is still good? I think at 3-4 months post op, if you are getting worse, it is time to revisit the doctor.

On the other hand, keep in mind that you will not be 100% after lower back surgery. It is something I learned and it tough to accept.

I've had 2 back surgeries at the same level. After PT and walking, I managed to eliminate my limp and reduce my leg pain. However, I never got feeling back in my buttocks, back thigh, or foot. And yes, that dreaded morning pain? I have that too. I have a 'gripper' b/c the mornings in general are a bit tougher. I'm 42 and feel like I have the body of a 90 year old sometimes.

I will say, I'm nearly 2 years out of my 2nd surgery and noticed some pain increasing. I've tried a lot of things over the last few months with my stretches, walking, tylenol, icing, etc. I did just go see my doctor as a pre-caution. Why? Because I know my body.

So, if you feel something is wrong, you need to tell your doctor you feel something isn't right. There is a chance you re-herniated or that scar tissue developed that is causing some problems.

I hope you feel better.
  • repairs slowly. Months easily. I have one area that took well over a year to get better.