Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member Here With Lots of Questions .. Here's my story!

Aldo60AAldo60 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in New Member Introductions
I am very pleased to have discovered this forum and hope to contribute and obtain many helpful insights to the issues involving the spine. I am 60 years old in generally good health, high cholesterol at 240 -250, but good blood pressure, and last stress test did NOT show any arterial blockages, Thank God. I do Smoke,{Stupid, I know }, but I do some form of exercise almost everyday: walking, seated bike riding, weight lifting. I am a little over weight at 5 foot 10 and 1/4 inches tall ( I used be 5 feet 11 1/2 inches tall) at 208 pounds.

Now for the pain/spine issues: diagnosed last year by a Orthopedic doctor that i have Scoliosis - with a 22 degree "S" curve above the Lumbar area approaching the mid back area, and then it straightens out toward the Neck. I have the CD of the pictures and his diagnosis. At 15 years old (45 years ago) , I fractured my right leg femur, that took 6 weeks in a traction (a screw was inserted in the right leg just below the knee cap solely to attach a weight to keep the leg straight), then 2 months in a full Body cast. When the cast was removed, the doctor noted that my right leg was over a 1/2 inch shorter than my left leg. My parents were measured, and my mother was found to be short on the right side by about 1/4 inch. It was assumed that I inherited that Plus the fact that my right leg was healing and my left leg was growing as the reason. I never played tackle football again, but with other sports I limped noticeably.

After 20 years, at 35 years of age, it was apparent that I could not stand for longer periods without pain and stiffness in my back. Same for that slow strolling that you do when shopping especially with the wife...Paid my first visit to a Chiropractor. Who told me as soon as I entered the office nd he looked at me from across the room : "You are going to have a lot of problems down the road"...he was so right on !! He prescribed a shoe insert [orthodic] that I wore in sneakers but not in dress shoes ( I wear suits everyday)... It helped with the limping, but the damage became more apparent as the years went by.

Since that time I've been to Holistic Therapist which helped with the pains using message therapies, a neurologist who took spinal pics and determined that I had "bad" disks - 3 in the neck and 2 or 3 in the lumbar area. about 15 years ago I adjusted the heel of dress shoes with a 1/2 inch adjustment. That helped but not enough. So after receiving the diagnosis mentioned above, the Ortho doctor prescribed a 7/8 inch heel lift and a 3/8 inch sole lift to the right shoe. felt very weird, but I have acclimated to it now. I also walk around the house with one beach slipper on the right foot LOL !! I also tore the meniscus cartilage in the right knee while doing weighted Squats at that time. Surgery was done and the doctor also pointed out that I had arthritis in that knee joint. I had learned of Condroitin from her, and started to take it on & off. It offered the soreness in the elbow more than the knee.

Now: I have chronic back and neck pain. Terrible neck and general spinal stiffness, lower back pain, I get some numbness in my left hand, and just awful cracking of so many joints. Waking in the mornings is the worst. I also note that i have a great deal of sinus problems, have encountered periods of bladder incontinence {that was all checked out by a Urologist with total bladder control tests {man, that was a Male "Adventure" to itself}, and also lately some bowel problems. The bladder issues was mentioned to my Primary Internist and I offered my theory that these issues are coming from the Lumbar disk problems. He told me that was not too wacky, and could certainly touch upon nerves that affect those organs.

So Here I am....Looking for answers, comfort, and "miracles"...Thanks for your time reading this.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    Yes, you certainly have had your adventures!
    I am not familiar with the specifics of your situation..except for the chronic pain part. :)

But I wanted to acknowledge you and your pain. And also..it may be helpful to use the "search" on this site that would lead you to previous posts on your topic. It may give you some information. I dunno.. but worth a try.

It's so great you are having such great communication with your doctor. That's more than half the battle.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! please have a good look around and make yourself at home!! i am not famaliar with your situation either but we do share some pain issues!! you will find many others on the site feeling quite the same way you do, i hope being around others who feel as you do will help you to feel better!! if you are having any bladder or bowel problems, please be sure to follow up on that with a qualified doctor!! good luck to you and stop by anytime!Jenny :)