Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Expiration of Medication?

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Pain Medications
Someone help me understand this...

The expiration on all of my medications is one year from the date it was dispensed.

When I think of expiration dates I think of it like this... If I open a container of yogurt at work the expiration is 7 days. So say that today is Friday Nov 25, that means the expiration would be Thursday Dec 1 (we always do one day back to be safe). So say I scooped up some yogurt today from that container and gave it to a customer. The expiration on that customers yogurt would be Dec 1. Well say 2 days from now I gave some yogurt from the same container to another customer... it would still expire December 1 because it was from the same container.

Do pharmacy employees date the bottles in the back once they are opened? How do I know if I am getting old medication?

I am sorry if this does not make sense... blame the meds (haha).
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• I hope they date the meds from the bottles where they got the meds. I hope they're fresh lol as sometimes they feel like they're not working!

It's a good reminder to clean out the cupboard of unused meds also. I always check cough syrup and cold remedies to make sure they're not expired. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I don't think they do.... Because why would all meds automatically have a one year expiration!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Yeah it's the meds, or you could be a blonde... lol

So if you are in the US. Your Rx is good for 1 year by law. The doctor can't make it last longer without seeing you.

Now the prescription meds themselves. Yes the pharmacy is under the same rules. They must state that the medication expires within 1 year. It's law and not necessarily true that the meds are no good after 1 year. It's not like they turn into a pumpkin on day 364... ;-)

The actual meds are usually good for 2-3 years. Not all, but many. So when they fill your RX the meds in the bottle they pull from must have an expiration longer than the 1 year they will write on your bottle.

I have Darvocet, Allegra, Phenergan, and a few other drugs that are almost 3 years old. They still work when I need them, which is obviously seldom.

Now on your Yogurt. Smart girl. If it says 7 days after openinig I would subtract 1 too. Food poisoning sux..