Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe lower back and leg pain 7 months after lower lumbar fusion

Tara IonescuTTara Ionescu Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had back surgery, a lower limbar fusion on L5/S1 with rods and screws Feb 15 2011 this year.
Before my surgery I spent 5 years going from dr to dr trying to figure out why I had such horrible lower back and leg pain. I was even once put into a study on Fibro even though I knew i did not have it.
January 2011 I went to see an orthopedic dr. Since i have tricare standard for my insurance I do not need referrals.
He put me into PT, which made my pain worse. By this time my Primary Dr had me on 400 mgs of tramadol a day.
The Ortho Dr sent me to see the Ortho surgeon. On Feb 4 I met him and per my 100th MRI he showed how my spine was deformed, possibly happening due to a car accident I had 13 yrs ago.
Feb 15th I was in sugery having the lumbar fusion, ONLY bc he sd Ot would make me better!!
I am a bit over 8 months after sugery and my pain in my legs has trippled while my back pain has doubled!!
I no l no l no longer see him as my hubby recieved orders for GA and we are now here.
I have a new ortho surg who swears up and down anyone with that surgery is 100% better after month 3. He put me into pain mamagment. My PM Dr is amazing, she listens and cares.
However whats important is before surgery I was on 400 mgs of tramadol, after surgery 10mgs of vicodin 2 4x's a day to now 10 mgs of percocet, 1 3x's a day and methadone 10 mgs, 1 twice a day!
But my pain is still worse! Everyone says everything looks fine but my pain says otherwise! Im scared bc I dont know whats wrong! :(

• Oh and not to mention in the past week my lower back pain has increased badly to where I can hardly walk on my own. I told my PM dr and she sd to hurry to the ER. I did, I went to the local ER amd they brushed me off as being fine stating "all you army wives come here for yoir quick fix!"
    So hubby took me to the army hospital and basically they wouldnt touch me bc im on methadone!
    Im am 35 yrs old! I have a 6 yr old son with autism and a constantly busy life being an Army wife, and the worst my pain gets, the more invisible I become. :( i want the pain gone!!! :(
  • I had a complicated 360 fusion, complete discectomy and a rib removed in
    Feb of 2009, I still have considerable weakness and a lot of pain.

I do not take a whole lot of pain medicine because it hurts no
    Matter what, some days are better than others.

But yes, Tara, I believe that you still hurt. I hope by
    Moving, you will get a more understanding Dr.
    Good luck, I know from my own experience that
    Once I looked good, it was hard for some
    People to understand that I could still be
    Feeling weak and still be in pain.

I believe you! Susan
  • Oh Susan my heart goes out to you!
    Thank you for your reply.
    I hope you feel better. <3
  • I am so sorry for your continued pain. I had the same fusion Sept 2010 and was in horrible pain. After about the one year mark I started to get somewhat better. I still have pain and think I always will. One thing that seemed to help for me was to keep moving! I don't mean anything strenuous just walking or light stretches. in my case, once I decided to just live with it and started moving even tho it hurt, it seemed to get better. It might work for you. Good luck in your journey!
  • I had my ALIF on 9/27 and my lower back pain has gotten considerably better but the leg/hip/foot nerve pain has gotten much worse and the pain Dr has put me on Lyrica 150mg 2/day in addition to the 100mg Ultram 3/day, and percocet 7.5mg 3/day.
    My leg feels wet, on fire, tingling, needles, and shooting pains all throughout the day and night. The meds just JUST keep it at bay marginally but I will not increase them.
    Dr and surgeon both tell me its 6-9 months before the nerve resolves. It sucks but I keep hope alive because hope is all I have.
    I wish you well and carry the hope for you as well.
  • Thank you everyone.
    I too hope all of you at some point are oneday pain free!