Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical fusion 4 5 6 Pain 6 months after

susie1ssusie1 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I has the fusion in May and the pain has returned and is now also causing pain in the left arm. I had rotater cuff repair 5 months before this surgery. I was doing well and my Dr. sent me back to work. Neck pain caused me to be taken off work again. Now they have sent me back to work 4 weeks ago and now the pain is wven more severe and causing headaches. Pills are not helping and neither is muscle relaxers. I have flector patches and no relief from them either. I cant sleep. Help has this happened to anyone else
Susie 1

• I had my ACDF in May also. The pain had gotten better. Some has come back, and has been increasing, but it's not as bad as before at this point. I have a new symptom that I don't know if it's related to the neck or not - my fingers and hand keeps cramping or "locking".

The Doctor you referred to - is it your surgeon? If not, you might want to see him. Could you see a pain management doctor to see if anything might work?

I wish you the best.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • If your neck muscles hurt, there is a possibility that your scalene muscles are spasming and giving you the arm pain. I also started to get pain in the arm and thumb suddenly and was very worried that something went wrong with my surgery. When I put pressure on one of the scalene muscles, I felt pain referred to my arm and even my scapula area. After I work on it for a while, the arm and finger pain gets better.

I am meeting with my physiatrist on Tuesday and will try to ask for injections. Are you doing PT? For me it does help with the pain, especially the neck pain and headaches. Does heat help? Good luck and keep us posted!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I would go back to your doctor / surgeon. Or perhaps a "second opinion." I had similar difficulties. I didn't get far with the surgeon that did the original fusion, but an MRI by my PC revealed problems with the disc above the fusion. (Original fusion was ACDF C4-7). I had a laminectomy two weeks ago. C3 deteriorated and began to compress the spinal cord. Don't wait too long. I only waited two months after the MRI, but my disc deteriorated from the preferred putting in an artificial disc to beginning to fuse, so the laminectomy was the only choice.