Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

does anyone have arthritis in their fingers?

babyruthbbabyruth Posts: 260
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
a couple of my fingers have been really hurting lately, they kinda feel like they are very bruised and when i touch the knuckle it feels like i just slammed my fingers in a door ... sometimes when i touch these fingers i get sharp pain as if the bones were in shards or something. i don't know how to explain this. i have this in two fingers and one of my fingers is curving at the top joint. is this osteoarthritis? i have OA in my spine and knees, but haven't a clue if this constitutes OA in my fingers. heaven forbid i bump those knuckles doing something AAAggggghhhhhhh! :S
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,738
    take a look at this site, provided by Spine-Helaht

Arthritis
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • There are many things that can cause pain in your fingers. It's best to follow up with your doctor for further testing
  • Hi,

I have very crooked fingers (they look just like my mothers!!) and they are painful. I had severe arthritis in both thumb joints and actually had to have the joint replaced (at the base of the thumb). It was a hard surgery with a long recovery but so worth it as I can use my thumbs again.

I have an excellent hand surgeon and suggest seeing if there is one in your area. Any x-ray can diagnose what is going on.

It is no fun and except for my thumbs nothing I can do but watch things get worse.

Good luck and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I have OA and my sister has RA. Have you been checked by at Rheumatologist? They can take x-rays or an MRI to see what is affecting you fingers and hands. Pain is tough.
  • HI,
    I also am loaded with osteo, and after a total ligament reconstruction in 2010, the arthritis has really set into that hand. (primary hand, of course!)
    I must wear a brace at all times, as this was a very delicate surgery, and though my hand works just fine, I can not rotate the wrist much at all - even cut my hair short as I can't rotate the curling iron anymore no matter how I try... The thumb joint at the base of the hand is looking pointed and aches all the time. Then I just noticed the 1st finger is no longer a straight line...curves a bit at the end, and even pushing on it will not straighten it out.
    Sounds like you have it too - sorry for both of us, but so far, it's workable. My surgeon suggested trying the glucosamine/condroiton (spelling?) but not to expect alot..it helps to lubricate the joints in some people, others it does nothing.
    Good luck, but I think the arthritis is there to stay..
    Frannie
  • is it possible for one to get steroid injections in their fingers? the last knuckle near the tips of my outer two fingers are exceptionally painful this evening. i do have tiny fingers though, about the same size as one of my neices who is 10! :O my goodness it hurts. here i am with this back and sciatic pain and the pain in my two outer fingers on my right hand are extremely painful. i actually just took a dilaudid for break-through pain. ow, ow, owie :''(
  • I have had cortisone injections in my thumbs but not my fingers.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I have had 2 lots of Thumb Base Injections in which I have to say they are great, if you can stand the first 15mins of the Steroid being injected into your already inflammed and painful thumb. In Feb 2012 had Lumbar Spinal Fusion, had to remove a bone that was tethered to my spinal cord, 6 pins and a plate inserted, 6hour Op. 3 days Hospital, NO Stitiches........no pain at all in that area since....Great Doctor!!

My hand surgeon wants to operate on my thumb as soo as I've recovered fro the back surgery........which wont belong at all, also I have Degenerative Spinal Disease, Oesteoarthritis (WS).....and I did all this by the time I reached 55yrs!!!!!
    edited 08/10/2012 - 7:59 PM

Arthritis, at least Osteoarthritis doesnt seem to stop once it has started. I did not show any shows of arthritis until about 12 years ago. Then from that time, things just started to snowball. First it was in my shoulders, which resulted in my two total shoulder replacements. Then my hips, left hip totally replaced last year. X-Rays do show that its just a matter of time for my right hip... Plus the Orthopedic doctor was frank with me, he also figured that later on it will be my knees.

Arthritis has just seemed to rip through my body. Much of this is attributed to the multiple spinal surgeries, since normal arthritis, does not advance as quick as it has for me.

My fingers? Yes, no question about it. My fingers are not out of shape or look strange, but month after month it is getting tougher and tougher to bend them and each time I do it hurts.

At this time, I am a bit reluctant to have any more steroid injections. Besides the countless ones for my spine, I had about 15 in less then 20 months for my shoulder/hip (the restrictions on joints is not as strict as it is with the spine)
    Back to the steroids. I know have cataracts, the type that is not brought on by age, but by medications, steroids being the number one reason. So, I will have to have cataract surgery in my right eye before the end of the year.

I've been researching and studying on what can be done to slow down the progression of arthritis. There are some exercises and OTC, some herbs and diets that can help, but nothing is truly proven.

So, now, arent you glad you asked if anyone has arthritis in their fingers!

Here is a good site that deals with Arthritis.... It is part of the Spine-Health company/family

http://www.arthritis-health.com/
  • right hand, first two fingers mostly, shoulders, hips, no knee for some reason, been having a lot right knee pain but had an xray and doc said all clear, not sure what that pain is from now,,,,,
    hamrs_62
  • I get horrible pain in my finger joint. The worst is the 3 trigger finger 2 on my right hand and one on my left. In the morning I literally have to pry the middle finger on my left hand open. It takes about 2 hours for the pain to subside. When I take prednisone it does help but cant take it every day.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I have times when my hands will cramp and my pinky finger or thumb will get locked. I rub my hand until it unlocks. Then often if it happens once it will happen again. Anybody have anything like that.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I was on Gabapentin for a couple of years, on a off. I know it cause bad pain in my fingers. It started with my left index and spread. The pain was so bad I could not put on my mascara. The joints enlarged. The top joint was actually larger than the lower one. I could not get my rings past them. It was not just swelling the bones actually grew huge and my hands look like heck. The good news was my nails got really strong. I gave up the Gabapentin because of the side effects. The pain went away and over the last 3 years, bit by bit the bones are shrinking back to normal. I think it will take another 2 years at this rate. At one point a Dr tried to tell me it was Arthritis. I know better. The same thing happened, at a lower rate, to a friend that was just taking 1 pill a day for migrains. I was on 4 pills a day. I was sick to my stomach always and it screwed up my vision. My Dr said he never heard of this happening
    Suzan, hoping to ski again one day
  • Yes, I too have OA in my distal finger joints - that is, the joints closest to the nails - and in 1982 I was diagnosed with RA due to swelling in the joint above the distal joint (i.e., proximal joint) of my right pinky. What's interesting is we're all aware of the mind-body connection, and whenever I've been under severe short-term stress, one of my joints, which isn't necessarily a finger joint, but more often than not is - is very painful for a few days.
  • I notice this pain at this time is worse some times than other times, I notice that my diet greatly affects my pain I feel there and through out my body. Particularly gluten. Gluten is like a poisen for me even though I was not diagnosed with Silac Disease, I was however diagnosed with a gluten intolerance in 3 other blood tests that only a homeopathic doctor will do and you must pay out of pocket for. I noticeds staying away from foods that are natural inflamatory foods such as any night shade vegetables such as potatoes, tomatoes, egg plants, also no dairy products and no eggs. Stay away from butters, any condiments. Tumeric is a natural antiiflamatory, you can put it in your tea. Also, find out your blood type, go on line to find the foods you can eat for your blood type and eat only the foods for your blood type. You can do this for tea's as well. Avoid coffee and caffine. No alcohol, no soy except soy licithen. Check your Vitamin D, vitamin B and progesterone levels. All of this I noticed makes a huge difference for me. I am now 52 years old, my mother has degenerative osteoprosis, she can no longer stand and is in extreme pain all the time and has lots of steriod injections. At 82 my the doctors say theres nothing they can do for her. Her spine between two vertebrae is almost completely severed accross. The doctors say when it breaks completely she will no longer be able to walk, will be in a wheel chair all the time, and the pain will be so bad, that may kill her. Her mind is really good at this time, although she hurst so much, that pain I fear will make her wish she was no longer alive. I fear this will be my fate so, I will watch my diet as well as I can. Lack of excercis e also the huge culprit. We must find a way to excercise and drink more clear liquids.
    Tina M. Mayer-Fortuna
  • started in right elbow and then just pinkie fingers.Now,5 years later,I just recently was also diagnosed with a herniated neck disk in addition to spinal bones beginning to fuse.i take the max dosage of tramadol,8, 50 mg aday and it helps but doesnt stop the breakthrough pain,which I use a tens unit with a heating pad over the area im trying to treat.I also listen to deep sleep music and it sometimes helps me get back to sleep when pain awakens me each night. osteoarthritis and some other rheumy condition doctors arent sure of as of yet.More tests in coming weeks

Was told to put an ice pack on my neck,think that was the worst thing,it increased the pain 10 fold instantly.

• My osteoarthritis HATES ice!! I have a hot water bottle that's my friend. I've been using a compounded ketamine cream that contains numbing stuff, nerve & muscle meds. We had to adjust the ingredients & quantities a few times. I like it. The results slowly build-up in my system. I can't take nerve meds orally so it's a win, win for me. The cream is VERY effective for my fingers as is antiinflamatory cream. I think it's because the joints are so close to the surface of my skin.
    I know it sounds silly with all of my spine issues & different arthritic joints there are days I feel like begging my surgeon to amputate my fingers!!! It's horrible. I can see my joints swell with weather changes & diet! I have no doubt things like that make a considerable difference with arthritis. Try a arthritis diet & ask your doc about getting some creams & patches (antiinflamatory) anythings worth a try, we're all different but they've helped me ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Does anyone get Disability for OA in fingers/hands? I think mine might even be erosive OA..

getting disability for osteoarthritis in their hands.....
    But I am sure in some state, someone has tried to
advertisement