Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Expecting too much perhaps?

MoDrums68MMoDrums68 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago about needing a microdiscectomy at L4- L5 due to leg and foot weakness and pain though the pain has improved significently following an epidural.

Well, I went ahead and had the surgery because my foot weakness was worsening. I had surgery 5 days ago and am generally doing great. I am off percocet and just taking ibuprofen at night. The incision looks good and though I am of course still feeling tired and achy generally I feel as though it went well. However, I am getting pain in my left hip and leg again. It is not nearly as bad as it was at its worst before but I am concerned because I thought that now there was no nerve root compression that the pain would have gone entirely. The foot and leg weakness is about the same.

Is this normal after surgery like this? Am I expecting too much? I am walking several times a day and trying not to overdo it generally.

Thank you all for being there!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    You are really so fresh out of surgery. Things take time to properly recover and heal. Make sure that anything you are doing is 100% approved by your doctor.

Trust me, you do not want to do anything to jeopardize the results of your surgery.

Right now, patience would be very helpful

You will have plenty of time to enjoy , when the timing is right
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you Dilauro, I know that you are right. I really need to give everything time to settle and heal before I start to worry about stuff. I appreciate your response.