Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical ependymoma & acdf 8 months later

Ependymoma23EEpendymoma23 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
im 23 years old and found out march 13th i had a tumor in my spinal cord. On the 17th it was removed it was c2-c7

after surgery i couldnt move and was a quad with severe nerve damage after going to madonna reab hospital i regained the ability to walk, and do quite a few of my cares after 4 months my neurosurgeon saw that i needed a c3-t2 fusioon and disctomy due to my head was falling

i had surgery october 13th difficulty talking and swallowing
the fluid from the surgery led to inflamation of my heart

it has been almost 2 months and i feel like the screws r slowly coming out or maybe its scar tissue ..im just worried. the scar also feels like its pulling and is very very sore with stitches that was suppose to disolve and now came thru the durabond glue and hurts

is there anyone like me ???? or help

my left arm doesnt work as well and i have severe nueropathy

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and there are plenty of threads for post surgery fusion. Sounds as though you have been through quit the ordeal for someone so young as yourself.

As far as the stitches coming through, that can happen, and sometimes they may even have a little fluid built up around them. Your going to feel lots of weird and odd sensations given the amount of surgery you have been through not to mention the amount of hardware you have. But if something really feels off don't hesitate to call your surgeon, that is what they are they for. Sometimes the nurses will be able to answer your questions, as it might be some of the more routine calls, but then sometimes the surgeon may want a x-ray to be sure. If you can massage the scar with your finger tips lightly through out the day it might help to keep so much scar tissue from forming.

Loosing the use of your arm, has happened to a few of us, and over time some of it comes back not all in some cases, just will depend. During the surgery they stirred up a lot of nerves, so they will take some time to recovery. The nerves that may have been injured with the tumor or other issues, will take the longest to come back. So you could be a year out before the nerves completely recover. I am sure your in a brace of sorts which your muscles are trying to figure out, and when the brace is removed, it might be some what of rough go with spasms.

About the best information I can give you is to stay up on your pain meds and don't let the pain get ahead of you. Playing catch up to pain is hard to do, and will make your recovery longer if your in pain all the time. Sounds as though you have already done a lot of work to get back some functioning, good for you.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If i can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post.
  • ok i actually got teary because i feel alone in this to i have family support and have a child no one knows anything about surgeries, stitches, tumors, or anything cervical

thank you

im on 3500 miligrams of gabapentin a day (my neurosurgeon says thats alot) but the rehab hospital oked it before my last surgery and it helps because thru the day my arm twitches or feels like someone has a voodoo doll on me and constantly poking it lol

ill try massaging it and hopefully that helps so my dr wont have to go thru the back like he had said the back has ALOT of scar tissue from the ependymoma removal
  • Wondering how you are doing...I had an epindymoma removed from inside my spine at neck as well. My surgery was Nov of 2004 and my acdf was done 8 months ago