Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do you think?

BrokebackBobBBrokebackBob Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I had 3 level ACDF July 2010. The reason I had the surgery was to stop the pain in both my arms. I also could not raise either arm above my shoulders. Unfortunately I still have a c5 palsy in my left arm which came on suddenly about 7 days after surgery. That's not my problem or question.
My question is should I have more surgery, this time in my lower back due to my left calf muscle becoming severely atrophied? I have begun a slight limp and walking is now becoming a chore as I have to think my foot thru the motion as my calf muscle is not functioning and my foot flops down making the stepping motion uncoordinated. Ortho doc says its nerve getting squeezed. Sounds bad to me. I have had 6 sciatic flareups since 2004 and dozens of minor "back spasms". I think I have had 5 or 6 sets of ESI's and many sessions of physical therapy. I do daily core exercises and use daily a low voltage electric nerve and muscle stimulator to help atrophy and pain. Pain is not too bad but it has been around for almost 8 years and I not getting any better. It is the calf atrophy and limping that has me concerned more now than 6 months ago. It seems as if the only way to stop the slow progressive calf atrophy is surgery. What would you do?