Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Been a while and not sure where to turn anymore

south_txgalssouth_txgal Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi y'all,
It's been a while since I last posted, not even sure where I was at in this process back then. And so somehow, I dont feel I should be coming back after such a long break and complaining when I know others are far worse than me. But here goes... I think last time I was contemplating the SCS trial. It was great, even wonderful, no pain for 4 days! So I had the permanent implant with paddles. Surgery went great, recovery went smoothly, was on Morphine pump the 1st 2 days, then Oxycontin, Percs and valium. Was sent home with scripts for 2 week supplies of Oxycontin, Percocet and valium. And that is when it went downhill! As soon as the scripts ran out I was told to switch back to my Norco (which I have now been on continuously since 10/10). Pain level went thru the roof at a 10. My blood pressure which was a little high before surgery has now gone thru the roof, in the last 5 visits oin 2 weeks to drs my readings have been 151/101/ 151/99/ 171/101 150/ 97 and finally the lowest was 135/98. Had to see the pain dr because I suddenly started wetting the bed with no urge that I had to go, it happened several times during the day as well. His first words were the stim is not for mechanical pain, we have run out of options you need a fusion and we need to get a scan to find out what is going on with the bladder. So off the the neuro who you could just tell was aggravated that the pm is saying surgery. He orders a myelogram and a referral to a urologist. Got the myelogram done (results are in my signature), if you've never had one done, be warned they are PAINFUL in my opinion. Went to see the urologist whose first two questions are "How long has the incontinence been going on?" 14 days..."When did you have your last adjustment to your SCS?" About 2 1/2 weeks ago... His response..."Well Duh, you're PM couldnt figure out that the SCS is now hitting a nerve to the bladder??? Go back, get an adjustment and you should be somewhat fine." Right now, I am not liking my PM. Instead of looking into the least invasive, least painful and cheapest fix. Together him and the surgeon went straight to a myelogram! No cauda equina syndrome, Thank God. But now my drs are in disagreement over where to go from here. Surgeon wants to wait until Ive reached at least 50 to do a fusion. PM has no idea what to do except keep me on meds. Im in pain, I sleep about 3-4 hrs a day. I have gone from being a very active lean muscular woman who worked 40 hrs a week, was a full time nursing student, took care of my family, home , went dancing, enjoyed gardening and walked 5 miles 3 times a week to being an obese (257 lbs)woman who sits on the couch and does nothing because just sweeping the living room throws my back into pain. I finally had to tell the PM he needed to be honest and stop telling me he would get me back to my normal self. He did finally agree that No I will never be who I was 2 yrs ago, but he says he can try to get me somewhat normal. What the HELL IS normal anymore???? Sorry, I know this is a very long rant!! And if you made it this far, thank you! My pills make me very chatty! I pray that someday we can all live with no pain!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    to realize and accept that you may not be exactly who you were prior to spinal problems.

But that does not mean, you are going to be faced with a life of gloom and pain. So many spinal patients continue to lead a very productive and enjoyable life.

I had my first spinal surgery in 1978 (Age 28) and I just had my left hip replaced (Age 61). In between I had a number of spinal surgeries.

Sure, I have not been able to do many of the things I did before. But I stopped thinking about that and had concentrated on the things I could do. I focused more on the positives that lay ahead. That was enough to get me from 1978 until today with an upbeat outlook on life.

Surgeons can only do so much. Pain medications can only do so much. There is a life style change, a combination of various medicines, exercise programs, Physical/Aqua therapy, diet, etc that all play major roles on how you will fare in the future
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.