Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ADR and stability

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am going to be having an ADR of my L5/S1. I have mentioned in another post that I am concerned about having an ADR with moderate hypertrophy of my facets...but I also have another concern..stability.

What is the best test to see about stability of the spine? I have had xrays and many MRI's, but would these show stability issues?

When I saw the surgeon, he asked if I have had positional xrays done, instead of the standard lying down ones. I have not. We then got on to another topic. I was wondering if this would show instability the best...other than positional MRI? I would think that if you have instability issues, adr would not be an option, but fusion would be better?

The worst pain that I have is with sitting, so it would probably be a good idea to have xrays in that position. Is it common for people to have instability when they are in different positions, but then everything looks okay on MRI/XRAY when doing the standard lying down ones?

>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• Instability issues will show in the positional x-rays. They are x-rays with you bent forward, backwards, and so forth. It is a lot cheaper way to go that the mri, if it will disclose your issues. Can you call the office back and say the surgeon was going to order them, but realized you left without the order?
  • I am going to see my primary physician today, so will ask him if he can order them for me. Do they do seated xrays as well when they do positional?

Just my guess here, hopefully someone can help me out, but think that ADR would be useless if I have stability issues...is that right? Just fear that because my best position is lying down, and can't sit at all, there may be some instability issues.

Want to make sure all my T's are crossed before I jump into this surgery, and make sure that I am a true candidate

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • in the uk
    they wont do ADR with facet joint disease and or DDD if i were you i would look in to this a bit more before you commit yourself
    tony x
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014