Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c-spine myelopathy

tfrancisttfrancis Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had C5-C6 disk removed & fusion done on August 6 2010, to relieve severe compression of my spinal cord, recovery was not too bad, in 6 months I had close to 90% strength & mobility returned to my arms & legs. I thought every thing was going to be fine, until about 2 months ago. I began to loose the feeling & mobility in my left arm (most affected before surgery) I called the doctor, he had me come in for a check up & then scheduled a MRI with & without contrast. He found that the original compression of my spinal cord had not been totaly relieved & was again worsening, the disk @ C6-C7 had ruptured and is now causing another area of compression. I now need 2 more surgeries one anterior for C6-C7 disk removal & fusion and one posterior to relieve the cord pressure @ C5-C6. Right at the moment he can't tell for certain which area is causing my current symptoms so I have to wait until the symptoms worsen to the point where hopefully he can be sure of where to operate first. I'm frustrated.... right now I can barely use my left arm & hand for much & I'm slowly loosing my right arm/hand & legs.


  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others with complex issues as yourself. I just want to make sure I understand what you wrote? The surgeon is saying, that you need both anterior and posterior revision surgery. But is unwilling to do any surgery till you get worse? If I was in your shoes I would seek out more opinions. I myself have had both a anterior and posterior surgery done at the same time. The did the anterior surgery then flipped me over and did the posterior surgery. So I am confused as to why he would think he needs to wait. There are others whom have had the surgery, in a two part phase. One done on one day and then the second done another day.

    Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Keep us updated.
  • Right now the surgeon is not sure which surgery will help, and doesn't want to operate until he is sure.
    He also doesn't want to perform any surgery that i don't need yet. At some point I will most likely need to have both surgeries, he feels that by waiting 8 or 10 more weeks and re doing the MRI's he'll be able to decide better which surgery, or both if needed, is going to help the most. The original myelopathy was quite severe and my chance of getting better was quite low, we hoped that by having the original surgery it would at least stop me from getting worse, right now I'm no where near as bad as before, with the worst of the pain & spasms mostly controlled, I can function for the most part.

    I'm just kind of venting here...
Sign In or Register to comment.