Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe coccyx pain

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm a 22 year old female, and I've had some pretty severe tail bone pain for the last few years. I'm almost 100% sure it's due to being overweight—I think it's my “hanging stomach” that pulls my pelvis forward, making my back arch awkwardly. (I'm 4'9'' and 170lb—but working on losing weight, slowly but surely.) I don't have insurance right now so I can't really go see anyone. My mom says nothing can fix it, and just take a naproxen and tylenol but I doubt it will work (plus I'm not big on medicine). Once in a while I try hot baths which do nothing, or icing it, which really doesn't do much either.

I'm running out of options. It's a CONSTANT pain, from morning to night to when i'm in bed (makes sleeping in any position hell), that ranges from mild discomfort to severe, sharp pain. (If I'm in bed and roll over, if I lay down on my back in bed/on the ground then try to get up. Sometimes I get “stuck” in a position because it's just too freaking painful to do anything--sometimes up OR down is just as painful, so I have to sort of "levitate" and wait it out.). I've tried stretcheing and laying with a thick pillow between my knees but even that doesn't help much. The last few days I've learned some “neutral spine” positions that seem to take the edge off, but only for so long.

I'm on my feet for 8+ hours, doing some heavy lifting, and by the end of the night I can't hardly even walk (i'm arched over forward, one hand on my back, the other out in front of me because I'm not that steady. This even happens sometimes after lying in bed.) because my tailbone/pelvis/hips/something in that reigon is screwed up. It (my pelvis/something in that area) also clicks every time I try to do a sit up.

Until I have insurance and can go see someone, does anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound like something you've had to deal with?

• I don't see how being overweight could put you in that much pain. Obviously it would be better for your joints and overall health to loose weight, but I cant imagine it effecting you to that extent. Without you going to get it checked out I really don't know what advice to give you. I would just make sure you are being as careful as you can while working and make sure that you are always in correct form while lifting. Having a strong core will compensate for your weight and reduce stress on your spine, so if you are able to do core exercises without causing pain it may give you some good relief.

You should have this looked at by a doctor when you are able to do so. Good luck to you and I hope this is something that settles down soon for you.....Mitch
  • and welcome to spine health. Is there any way you could have some testing done (teaching hospital?) I am not from the United States so not sure what options there are without insurance, but I would think that you need an exam and some tests to see what you are dealing with.

One of my issues is extreme coccyx pain. I cannot sit at all, standing from a lying to sitting position causes a sharp pain. Standing is the best for short periods or lying on my side with pillow between legs. Did you have a fall or bang your tailbone? Or it could radiate from your lumbar region. There are so many reasons, which is why seeing a doctor for a diagnosis is so important. We can only share our experiences.

In my case, I was originally going to have my tailbone removed, but after a caudal injection without relief, the doctor's thinks it may be radiating from my L5/S1 which I am going to have an ADR on.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Hope that you are able to get a diagnosis.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I used to work the night shift and would put a hot water pack on my back and it helped somewhat as well as taking Ibuprofen or Robax Platinum when I got home as it made me sleepy.

If the pain is bad enough you could go to ER but not sure in the States if you have to pay but don't think so. There are free MRI clinics as well as checking with a University Hospital in your area.

I wish there was a reasonably priced insurance but if you do seek help before you get insurance they may want to know about any previous health issues.

What helps me sitting is I have a small step stool supporting my legs in a bent position and I have a soft coccyx cushion.

Never bend at the waist but instead crouch down. Lifting something heavy, hold it close to your body and use your strong leg muscles instead of your back. Use your arms to help yourself out of bed or a chair rather then just pulling up with your back.
    Don't twist your back especially carrying something but instead move your whole body step by step to turn. Drink lots of water to re-hydrate.

I hope you can get some answers soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I don't remember any falls or injuries, as I wasn't the most active teenager.

I will try strengthening my core and keeping neutral spine when I can remember, and proper posture when I sit down. I just think it's odd that I have literally zero pain while sitting, only when standing or lying down on my back/side.

Charry, the cushion you speak of, is it the one with a hole cut in the back? I've seen a few online you can buy, and a few "do it yourself" ones I was considering trying.

Sorry I can't write more, I'm off to work. Thank you all for replying to me though, I'll do the best I can and look around, see if there's a school/clinic I can get into. I don't want to go to a chiropractor, but I'm almost willing to try anything. I don't want to have to quit my job over this. I'm 22, and I feel 95. :(
  • Caudal issues due to three endoscopic procedures last year, and using ice helps out quite a bit. It is not a cure-all, but it certainly decreases the pain sensation while I'm using it.

Hope you can find some answers soon...good luck,

This discussion has been closed.