Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I have neck surgery

nlovennlove Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am trying to get advice as to whether or not to have surgery for two herniated discs in my neck. I was 23 when my problems with my neck all started, and I am 31 currently. Just so you know a little of my background I also have severe Fibromyalgia, mild degenerative disc disease, and sprain strain in my mid to low back. Please any advice or if you had neck surgery what was your outcome all info will be greatly appreciated.

• It all depends on you. In my experience, I waited until the pain became unmanageable & unable to do my normal daily tasks. The disadvantage of having surgery is the disc below or above the fusion usually always herniates & then you're back to square one. That's what happened to me & I'm scheduled for my 2nd surgery in a few days. But I waited until I absolutely couldn't take it anymore. It was a last resort decision for me.
    I hope my opinion helps.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • Seriously, do not leave a decision about your healthcare up to a group of strangers, no matter whether they've had a similar surgery. You might as well base it on sharing the same birth sign. Nobody will ever have the same unique body, lifestyle, history, circumstances, strengths or weaknesses.

This is a support site, it is true; but you'll find that many, many people share that sense of support mostly over what they consider negative outcomes in their lives, whether regarding low opinions of doctors, outcomes of surgery, and many, many other factors.

Yes, ask questions. Yes, you can get some good ideas here. But be aware, you'll see a lot of negative comments, and you must be aware enough that people respond emotionally about some subjects and not take opinions as fact.

Do your homework, listen to your doctor(s). Make a decision based on you and your life, and don't be deterred by the stories of others who may have absolutely nothing in common with you and your situation. There are good people here, trust your instinct to find them. Look for balanced viewpoints, lack of a clear agenda (trying too hard to convince you that there is only one right way, one outcome, one future). They are here, weed them out.

Best wishes to you.
  • I really appreciate your history and I have a few more questions that I hope you will answer. How many different surgeons did you see that said you needed surgery before you did it? How many years has it been since your first surgery? How long did it take you to recover from the surgery? The last question I have is if you knew then what you know now would you have gone through with the surgery?

Thanks again for responding before
  • I just wanted to say thank you for your message. I will take your advice about weeding through the comments and only listening to my doctor. Trust me I have seen many doctors in the last 9yrs that I have been in pain, but never had surgery so was looking for some people that did have surgery and if it worked for them. Also thought maybe I would get a few ideas of what to ask the surgeon or maybe even have someone respond that has severe fibromyalgia along with my other problems. I just want to say thank you again for your advice I will be using it. Hope things get better for you.