Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need lumbar surgery on my l3, l4 and l5

Lpeters885LLpeters885 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I am a female 46 years of age single living in Costa Rica. I have sole responsibility for my 129 acre Commercial, sheep farm, commercial magostan fruit and hard woods farm. I do everthing i can to not do any work in/out of the farm that would cause swelling, inflamation or pain. Facts are facts; at times i have no choice but to do work within the farm that i know will cause severe pain and may not be able to sit or stand that evening . "You gotta do what you gotta do".

The pain is due to Severe stenosis between L4 and L5 and moderate between L3 and L4. Both unbearable to tolerate. Any suggestions to help reduce the pain?
Sleep positions? Type of stretching? Hot and cold water therapy?

Some times I can't get out/in bed. Some times I need hold my arms to sit on the toilet.

I believe strongly as well in alternative remedies.

My Dr. said physical therapy won't help because my muscle structure is great and my bone anaysis density is as good as you can have for the procedure.

• Hi and Welcome to the forum,

I am fused L1-S1 and I find that sleeping on my back with a wedge under my knees helps with the pain. I also stretch my hamstrings, glutes and quads as they all get tight, especially the hamstrings and glutes.

I use a heating pad that is very helpful in reducing pain. Cold is good for inflammation right after it happens but I find the heat very relaxing.

I have had accupuncture, cortisone injections, prolotherapy and rhyzotomies before having the fusions. Not all were effective for me but everyone is different and many people get good results.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Go to a physiotherapist. I was into bodybuilding when I was diagnosed so obiously my muscle structure was solid too yet physio helped. So ignore the doctor.

Also avoid soft surfaces