Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two conflicting diagnosis.... 2 Herniated Discs vs Sacroliac Joint Inflammation

CryanCCryan Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone! I would like to introduce myself, and my struggle the past 6 weeks. I have been reading FAQ's and topics looking for answers. I am an extreme workaholic, and this back injury has made my world come to a screeching halt, I am so frustrated, depressed and feel so trapped by this pain. I cannot sit upright or stand for more than 10 minutes, can't drive for more than 20 minutes, and going to the grocery store puts me in bed with a muscle relaxer afterward....ok, whine session over..., hope i didnt lose you...here are the facts:

*previous discechtomy 2002, spinal stenosis, ruptured disc L4/5, permanent minor nerve damage and muscle weakness to the left leg.**

August: visited chiropractor, accupuncturist, after a series of X-rays, was advised I have DDD. Doc would not do any chiro, but did some accupuncture, light electrode massage, ice/heat. worse the next day :(
September: fell off 3 foot ladder, jammed my right foot (sole of foot very bruised) on ladder, and fell on my coccyx, lower and upper back slammed up against doorframe.
October 14-19, helped move 2 bedroom house..did some home repair on a burst pipe ...until..i fell through damaged floorboard jammed my right hip up against floor joist, jammed both feet against under-house heating unit.The next day severe pain in right groin, hip, buttock and leg. Pain lessened in groin, and hip. Pain progressively worsened in lower back,right buttock, side of thigh down to ankle, around side of foot, sole and ball of foot.
Oct 21 -25 Urgent care doc... Prescribed Percocet and Flexeril, MRI ordered. Kept working, pain kept getting worse. Urgent care referred me to an Orthopedic Clinic. Saw PA, ordered Epidural and one week out of work.
Nov7-15th, tried to go back to work, 5 hours into my day both legs went completely numb from mid thigh down to toes. Severe muscle weakness in both legs, needed to lift legs by hand to get in car, someone drove me home, called clinic they set an appt 8 days out. Took 24 hours for muscles to gain back strength. Nov 15th back to Ortho Clinic..PA felt both legs very cold and both big toes turning blue. ordered Nerve/Emg study, Vicoden, Soma and referred to Spine Surgeon.Nov 28 Nerve study doc says no permanent muscle damage. Mild Nerve damage in both legs, left leg from back surgery/stenosis in 2002, more pronounced now in right leg. This doctor suggested another epidural.
Losing faith in this clinic, I wanted another opinion, researched and found another another Ortho Spine Surgeon, met with him the day before the clinics surgeon.
Surgeon A says Sacroliac Joint, orders injection for next week, go back to work, see ya in 4 weeks.
Surgeon B says no way, 2 herniated discs..pain meds and physical therapyosef back to work, see you in 6 weeks.

I do not know which one is right,..I am hoping Sacrolilic Joint..because it seems to fit with my fall..And if the injection works, I can go back to work quicker....but how could he not see two herniated discs? As for Surgeon B, I asked about SJ, he didn't even seem to consider it....but if I am in this much pain...how can either of them think I can go back to work where I either have to sit for long periods or stand....I can bareley get to my mailbox! I am stunned that neither surgeon seems to see the pain I am in, even though they are prescribing narcotics..I'm cleared for work. I'm scared to go back right now, because if I do and I can't make it through the day, or week....how effective am I? My career is at stake here... And what further damage am I doing if I push too hard, and I end up having to go back out again?

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! perhaps what you need is a third opinion!! this might give you the confirmation you are seeking.. it can be very difficult to discern two differing opinions without a third ear!since we are not doctors here,it makes it alittle difficult to give a valid opinion based on your information.. please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. we are so happy to have you here! i do hope you find pain relief soon! please stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • I hope you look at other alternatives to surgery, as that is usually considered a drastic, perhaps last resort option. And it is not always successful, sometimes worse and irreversible.
    The body suffers from a multitude of ailments as we age and work hard, and at the same time don't give the body any routine maintenance. Then when it is unable to cope we think something is drastically wrong as it's been perfectly OK until then.
    We all do it, and I'm a prime example. Why fix it if it's not broken?
    I'd strongly suggest that you give the doctors and surgeons a rest and instead concentrate on physios and remedial massage treatments. You must have your muscles in good health and your joints working normally with free movement. Surgery doesn't help here.
    My SI joint locks up frequently and if I let it go I'm crippled with bad pain. I now recognise the early signs and go straight to my chiro who is able to release it immediately.
    My neck also gradually stiffens causing head, neck and shoulder pain. The physio loosens the joints and I'm good again for a while.
    I'm back with remedial massage again as I have deep seated muscle problems.
    Finally, the best thing I've ever done to ease muscle pain is to take a strong magnesium supplement daily. Unbelievably good.