Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opana fears !!!!

aubrey3611aaubrey3611 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Pain Medications
I am 60 years old .....I have multiple low back & spinal issues. About two ago my Dr. Prescribed Opana ER 30 for pain. We made the decision NOT to have surgery SO ...... We are trying to maintain. The Opana helps take the edge off of the pain BUT ..... Now I see on the news where several pharmacies have been robbed, home invasion robberies .... Etc.
I am scared to death to even walk to my car with this drug . ****** from what I've heard, OxyContin has always been the drug of choice within the drug user community BUT the manufacture has re- formulated the product...now everyone is flocking to Opana. THUS ????? The street value has sky- rocketed ....... My question ... Is there a different Extended Release drug that would be just as effective ???? I need to removed myself from this Opana crowd !!! Thanks

• Don't let hysteria rule when talking about medications. Druggies are not lying in wait outside your door. I understand your fears, but the media also hypes real problems to cause fear in the community, because fear sells (all kinds of things).

Opana is scheduled shortly for a reformulation to make it more resistant to abuse, just as other meds have been. There is nothing that will ever be 100% abuse-proof, but this will slow down some of it, for a while at least.

The best thing you can do is put your medications in a safe place, like a lock box that only you (or perhaps one other person) has the combination or key to. Don't tell anyone what you are taking, they don't need to know. Telling them how serious your problems are/you think they are is going to be a sure sign to some that you may have medications in your home, so you don't need to talk about them any more than you discuss your blood pressure or diabetes medications.

I know you are concerned, but I also sense a tinge of hysteria in your post and don't want you to be unduly alarmed or terrified over this. All it takes is some good planning and common sense about your medications, truly. Don't lose sleep over this.

As an aside, many, many prescription drugs are abused today. These include narcotic pain medications, anti-anxiety medications, sleep medications, cough syrups, ADD/ADHD meds (which are actually amphetamines), and so many more. You can't worry about every single medication you take, or every single person out there in the world -- that would lead to under-treating your condition(s) and becoming a recluse, in a worst-case scenario.

Do your best to be responsible with your medications, then relax and help your mind and body to heal.

Best wishes.

EDIT: For every person who misuses oxycontin, there is one who prefers vicodin, or hydrocodone. They are all narcotics, but their "high" is different. You can't run from medication to medication in an effort to find one that nobody would abuse, given the chance. I will tell you, from the interactions I have had with people who misuse prescription meds (I'm a nurse), stealing the medications of those who need them is highly frowned upon. Yes, some still do it, but they tend to talk about those meds still within reach that are not being used. That's what they'll take. Honor amongst thieves? Everyone has a code.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    There are people out there that will want to still any medication you have. Thats the way it has been and thats the way it will be. Sad, but so true.

I have been using Opana for the pat 4 years. Prior to that,I was on Oyxycontin for about 3 years. I can say one thing, even when I talk to some doctors, they have no idea what Opana is.

I wouldn't worry.
    Just use plain common sense
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.