Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Evaluation

BrendieleeBBrendielee Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
I filed for disability in March of 2010. I'm 44, was in a car accident in 2008 that broke C4-C6 which I had fused, but still have the same pain, numbness, headaches, etc than before the fusion. After my initial denial I got a lawyer to help me so I'm in "reconsideration" mode. My lawyer gave me copies of my documents they had acquired from doctors, hospitals, therapists and from Social Security including my disablity determination. I also applied for SSI as I have absolutely no income and have sold every piece of jewelry or anything I could find to stay afloat. My depression, panic attacks and PTSD are off the charts, can't get my medications or go to the doctors with no insurance. So to make a long story as short as possible (or at least my question), I've now been asked to attend a Mental Evaluation. I've already submitted my Function Capacity forms from my doctors for both health and mental. Anyone have experience...have no idea what to expect and hoping something resolves soon so I can get medical attention and my medications (especially my depression medicine).

• I wasn't sent for an eval. Just had an appeal hearing scheduled for January. My only suggestion would be to review what you put on the forms already. Consistency is really important. And if anything has changed make sure you tell them that this is something new.

When do you have to go? I wish you luck and remember to just be calm and honest.
  • Brendeelee,It makes me mad but a neighbor of mine applied for ssd online,and was approved she has bad knees she is 100lbs over weight,it took me 4 yrs 5 back srugurys 3 denials finally approved.i even had ssd lawyer,i would make apt with ssd ssi main office in your town talk to them face to face,
    Rick ncpa
  • I am scheduled for a mental evaluation tomorrow and am very anxious about it almost freaking out about it and for no reason. What I wonder is I filed for disability due to scoliosis and cervical stenosis nerve and back pain, why a mental evaluation?
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • I applied in Jan. 2011 for Disability... got denied twice and finally got an attorney. I had to wait for 7 months to get a Hearing and had it on Dec. 17, 2012... the State sent me to 2 evaluations... 1 was for my physical problems..and the other was mental. Both sets of Dr.'s said I was fine... At my hearing the Judge totally disregarded what both Dr.'s said and went with my NP that has been treating me for 3 years... I just got my approval letter about 2 weeks ago... It is a long process but worth the wait. I haven't worked since 2002 due to severe back problems... so I know what you are going through... They always do the mental eval.... it's standard... don't put too much into it.... it may help you as most, if not all Chronic Pain Patients suffer from Depression... Good Luck
  • They are pretty much going to ask you the same questions that you have already filled out. They will probably ask you to remember certain words at the beginning and tell them at the end. At least that is what mine eval consisted of. Nothing to freak out about.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • yup went well very nice person that did the evaul
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • The depression and other things you mentioned are the reason for the eval It is nothing to worry about and could very well help you get approved
This discussion has been closed.