Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw the Surgeon Today

Cathy MCCathy M Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Saw the surgeon today and it was not good news but it was'nt bad either.. From what he can see on the xray is that the screws and rods are staying where they belong but the bone is not healing as its should He said he wanted to wait another two months and check it again and then if it is not any further along than it is now he wants to do a CAT scan to see what is going on.

He said that he did not want to rush into another surgery since I have already had three of them and that we are now 5 months out from the revision surgery.

He thought that my nerve in my foot and the burning of it was the nerve trying to heal.. He increased my Gabapentin to 3000 miligrams. No more PT but I am to do all the exercises at home and use the TENS machine as I need it.

My memory loss is due to the Gabapentin and for now there is nothing we can do about it. Not being able to focus on things is also due to the Gabapentin. you know while this drug does help ease the nerve pain and makes it less intense than it is without it IT SUCKS not being able to remember and focus on things..

I am just so frustrated with this whole process. .

• Cathy,

Sounds like you got the good and bad all together. Take away the positive from it, and think positive this will be it, and it is going to work. As far as the gabepentin, that is a common side effect of the med, and i understand you don't want to feel the nerve pain, but keep in mind there are other medications, that will do the same thing. I myself use lyrica and for me it is not as bad, but your supposed to gain weight on it, but so far so good. Each person reacts so different to these medications so if it is really bad, you might consider switching. You might do some research on the other meds and look at the potential side effects and you can weigh your options. If all else fails you can always go back to the gabepentin.

Sense it seems your hardware was the reason for the last surgery, the good news is it is holding good. Fusion can take sometime and while I know it is hard to be patient as most of us just want it over, hang in there. Two months will be here in know time.

Go treat yourself to something nice this weekend, I think you deserve it. Even if it is your favorite food or good movie, try to relax.
  • Back problems can be so frustrating and being patient can be hard. We're all pulling for you. Hang in there. >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess