Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Managing pain until appt. with surgeon

horselady21hhorselady21 Posts: 175
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi..I am happy to have found this site...nice to know I am not alone.
Had microdiscectomy 2 yrs ago, was doing real good til a couple months ago. MRI showed "protrusion" at L3L4 and bulges at both levels below that. Steroids and pain meds controlled most of the pain and I was functioning enough to work and live pretty normal. Then last weekend, that all changed, and now I am in constant agony. Can't sit, stand or lie down without mind-blowing pain in left buttock, leg and back, and foot is numb. Reg. doc gave me plenty of Percocet 5-325 and anti-inflammatories.The prescribed dose doesn't begin to relieve this pain. I take 2 at a time , then 1 every hour or so afer that. Also use heating pad strapped to my back, otc icy hot patch after that...surgeon appt is for Tuesday. Am I ok to continue the Percocets like I have been? I don't know if I'll make it til Tues..
thanks for any help

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. How many percocet are you taking a day. It is not the percocet itself that is the concern but the tyelnol that is contained in it. That is the 325 number. If I understood you correctly you said you take 2 percocet then 1 every hour after that, which would be some place around 20 tabs a day which is way over the allowable amount. You should only be getting at max 3000 per day. which equals out to 9 pills a day. You really don't want to have liver failure with that.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Hopefully the surgeon has some answers for you on monday. Good luck and keep us posted, how you get along.
  • Sorry to hear you are in so much pain!

Sometimes narcotic pain meds don't help nerve pain very much. Maybe you could ask your doctor about a nerve pain medication like neurontin or lyrica.

As for the Percocet- you should call your doctors office and ask if it is ok to take the pain meds like you are. Are you going to run out early taking that many? Also they make stronger percocets like 10/325. Make sure you don't go over 4000mg of tylenol (apap) in a day. They are soon going to lower that to 3000mg. It can cause severe liver damage.

Good luck at your appointment. I hope you get some relief soon.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • thank you for the replies...i will try to cut down on the meds. never imagined pain like this. Dr. gave me script for 90 pills to hold me til appt on Tues. with surgeon so i should be ok..at least they take the edge off the sharpness.
    thanks again
This discussion has been closed.