Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial for SCS scheduled Dec 14 and Perm Implant Dec 16

finzzzupffinzzzup Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I'm kinda new here but have been reading lots of the posts. I have some questions I'm hoping the SCS Veterans here can answer and help calm my fears...

For one,I'm really nervous about getting the SCS after my lumbar fusion resulted in the loss in the use of my right leg. Is a 4- day trial normal? I'm afraid this doctor is just trying anything to get me out of pain because I've had multiple nerve blocks, some being one week apart which have not helped much at all.

I've been told they "suture" the wire to your back and attach it to the battery pack. Is this painful?

Once they place the wire, will they use it to control the pain in the whole back or just parts. For instance, I have have upper back, neck and arm pain that I've had nerve blocks for. The majority of my pain right now is in my lower back (even after the fusion from L2 to S1) and right leg. Can they set it to control pain in all areas? Also realistically, I know I cannot expect it to get rid of 100% of the pain and have read that they consider the trial a success if it gets rid of 50% of the pain. I honestly don't think I will go thru with the trial unless I have at least 75% or higher relief. To me, 50% is not enough for the risks, chance of complications, etc. I do have fibromyalgia and when I have a flare-up my life is pure hell, so I pray this helps!

I'm sorry this is long.... I truly wish I had found this site before my fusion..

• 26 views and not one person can give me one word of encouragement? Thanks bunches!
  • Please keep in mind that we are all patients here and have our own lives and issues we are dealing with on a daily basis. All of your questions are well answered in the multiple posts throughout the Spinal Cord Stimulation Forum and you may find more thoroughness/completeness in the information within those rather than waiting for one or two people to show up here to answer you directly.

• It's all good... I just had not seen much in those "multiple posts" regarding the length of the trial and my main question was whether the 4 days was standard or if they were rushing it a bit..... either way I am getting the procedure done and praying for the best. I'll just be a good little lurker from here on out. ;)
  • I just had my trial 12/7. It was only in 2 days, tho I've read that they can be in place up to a week. They are not sutured in, it is like an epidural and then they use a LOT of tape and clear film to hold it into place.( I would be willing to text you a pic if you are interested but I don't have internet on my phone). They sedated me once they had me on the table on my belly, cleaned my back very well and inserted the leads. It was not painless but not as painful as a discogram. I was given IV antibiotics both before and after the procedure. Where they are able to place the wire controls where they can control the pain. They then go over the equiptment with you and your 'ride' (my dh)and teach you how to use it and you get phone numbers in case any thing happens. You can NOT shower or bath, just wash up. Nothing can get wet. I'm sure there are variations and if it doesn't help you, you may have to back out of permanent placement at the last minute since they scheduled everything so close. Mine helped a lot but I'm taking a few days to think it over. It's still a major surgery (the permanent, not the test). Most of them are paddles now which have a lot less chance of coming out of place and it will fuse to your body in 6 to 8 weeks. Any more questions, please let me know! Sorry, I just saw your post, I just started coming on here again.
  • Hey there! Thank you so much for your response!!! It sure has been a scary few weeks for me and it sounds like it was scary for you as well!!! I didn't see your message until just now or I would have answered sooner. I had my trial on the 12/12 which was Monday. Monday night I had to stay overnight in the hospital and then Tuesday morning the Manuf. Rep came to hook up the unit. Before he left, I was having so much pain relief in my leg that we had called my surgeon and we had decided that I was just going to spend Tuesday night in the hospital and get the permanent placement done yesterday 12/14! I have to agree... the temporary placement was nothing near as bad as the Discogram!!!!! We were amazed I was given relief from my upper lumbar region to the tips my toes on both feet. The rep says it's often hard to get a response on the back and rare to get both the back and leg.. I am now home from the hospital having had both the trial and permanent implants done this week and have to admit that although I am really sore at the incision sites, the amazing relief I am getting from the nerve damage in my leg makes it all worthwhile!!! Everyone has been asking me what it feels like and I keep laughing and telling them it feels like a big cat purring... literally! Like you said... the biggest precautions are to keep the paddle from flipping and they gave me a special belt to wear when I am up and about to help with that...

When you get your permanent placement, will they be removing the temporary wire? The way they did mine was awesome. The wire had double leads on it and all they had to do was cut the trial leads, un-coil the permanent ones and attach them to the battery. That way there is no chance of it not working exactly the same as before! I felt so much better about the whole idea after learning that!

Take care and let me know when you schedule your permanent surgery!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    First I want to say what great news that you have such great results! I'm so happy for you!

And if you don't mind, I'm curious about the effect on the use of your right leg. Did it help that also?

Thanks so much!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I'm SSSSOOOOO happy for you!!! With mine, they did the trial, removed it and now I have to wait for the 20th for a surgical consult before perm placement. I'm so jealous!! I'm looking forward to that relief again and I know what you mean about the 'purring cat' lol! I don't have a surgery date yet but I hope it's soon!! Again, soo very happy you are having relief! Happy Holidays!!
  • Thank you, Savage! I have been very pleased with the results of the surgery so far. I am experiencing some significant swelling and bruising at the moment but am told it's normal by my surgeon, especially people who are "smaller".... and I have had a little blood on the incision where the rechargable battery is also. Other than that everything seems to be going exceptionally well.

In answer to you question about the effect on the use of my right leg... It has helped there more than anywhere else... at least in the "pain" area. I may never regain full use of my leg, but if the pain is under control, I can live with that. Today I had the unit running at only around 2.75-3.00, but now am having the tight feeling around the knee so just turned it up higher for a bit.