Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Year Update

wahini202wwahini202 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Some of you may remember me, and some may not, but I'm guessing for most of you this will be the first time. So let me introduce myself:
I'm Erica, and two years ago I had a PLIF from L4-S1, and had pre-surgery drop foot (foot drop, whatever you prefer).

This forum and the people here literally kept me from losing my ever loving mind through the first six months of my recovery. There were times when I was scared, frustrated, always in pain, stiff, couldn't sit, stand, walk right, bend over, sleep comfortably, pick certain things up, etc. So I want to say thank you to everyone who does remember me, for helping me through it all (and I'm sorry I've been gone for so long.)

As for my surgery, I really did have an amazing surgeon. Literally, I had an outpatient double lumbar fusion. Yes, that's right, two years ago I went in and came out the same day. My surgeon didn't put me in a brace, I was just wrapped up to protect the incision and got to sleep in my own bed. Also, that same day I remember waking up from surger and moving my left foot for the first time in 15 months. So the surgery went very well, but the recover just plain sucked. I can't sugar coat the first six months and won't. But after that hump, things got better and more limber and I could bend and move and so forth.

Two years later, I'm pain free (except for the occasional dull ache where the metal is) but I do have flare ups in my foot from some nerve damage. I didn't just have a buldge, I had like...a boulder. So all in all I guess I just want to give back to the community here at SH and firstly, say thanks and to secondly say, I made it through. Most importantly, I'm going to check in around here for the next couple of weeks to answer questions if anyone has any for me, I know I had a TON of questions in the beginning. AND, I would love to catch a few of the friends I made here. Hope you are all well!

• Another great, great story! I love to hear stories from the other side to balance all the negative experiences here. It takes time, it takes effort, but it certainly is achievable, and I'm so very happy for you that you've come so far.

• The most important part, and I can only say this in hindsight, is that it takes time. It takes an absurd amount of patience and it takes a lot of work. But because I had the injury, and I needed the surgery, I would have chosen no other direction than to fuse this baby together because today is better than it ever was when I had those two busted discs.

Glad I could share a success on here :) We are out there!