Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Breastfeeding and Microdiscetomy

melknee78mmelknee78 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having microdiscetomy on my L5/S1 on Friday and I have a 6 month old that is exclusively breastfed except for once a day when she gets solids. Anybody have any recommendations on how to pump on the day of surgery and then on how to nurse her following that.
Any information or help would be appreciated.

• I would suggest you get an automatic pump from where you had your baby and refrigerate the milk in 4 ounce size and feed by bottle only because you'll be taking pain meds. You should see your Dr. about collecting so much milk and re-hydrating or speak to the Nurses there about how long to store the milk in the fridge some say 72 hours some say 5 days so always check with a Medical person. You;ll get all kind of answers on the internet that is not medical advice!

Have a supplement feed on hand and don't worry your baby will be able to get back to the breast well supported on a pillow for your back sake. Best wishes for your surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist what meds they will be using and how it effects breastfeeding. There is a chance you may need to stop feeding for a while.
  • I had a microdiscectomy when my baby was 6 months old too! He had never had solids or formula and I had my op with only a days notice so I wasn't prepared at all.

Once the milk I had expressed was used on the day of surgery he refused formula and was only taking a small amount of solids. The anesthetist was happy for me to nurse him the next day and said that my milk might make the baby sleepy but wouldn't harm him. The anti inflammatory I was given was fine for breast feeding as it does not get into the milk and the pain killer was suitable for a nursing mother too.

I pumped after the surgery and at my usual feed times, even in the night, and threw the milk out. The first feed the baby had was 18 hours after the op and we were back to normal straight away as long as someone was there to lift him to me.

Good luck, happy to chat if you have more questions

• Thanks guys. I am friends with a Lactation consultant and LLL leader so that helps in checking if meds are okay for baby.
    Cheek--how did you nurse him after surgery? Were you able to sit up as usual using a boppy or something or did you have to lay down?
  • I nursed him lying down for the first couple of feeds but if I was propped up nice and firmly with lots of cushions, sitting up was fine after that. Putting him down in the cot took a while as you have to bend over, and getting him in or out of his car seat was tricky too, so i stuck with the pram and walked as much as I felt able to.

He is now a big lad of 4 and he now has a little brother, so glad to say my back made a 100% recovery.

Best of luck